nipper552003

Beautiful spring night, and as my wife and I are sitting on the front porch enjoying the quietude, I decide to take NellyBelle out for a little spin in the 15 or so minutes before "DOG- the Bounty Hunter" comes on A&E- the only reality show I watch on the tube.  Fire up the bug, and I'm spinning through town keeping up with traffic when up ahead I see 2 cop cars sitting side-by-side, and I know it's a speed trap!  I look down- damn!  30 in a 25 mph zone, so I stop for the yellow light, and the 3 cars ahead and beside me bust on thru the light.  The cop, maybe just 21 yrs. old,  pulls me over, and after the routine,"License, registration and proof of insurance", asks me, "Do you have a Porsche engine in this thing, sir?  I could barely keep from laughing, as I have the original 40 hp, with a zoom tube exhaust!!  I'm probably the first air-cooled VW this young kid has ever seen in person.  Luckily, I got off with a warning, as I had all the necessary paperwork, and my lap belt on   I guess I'm attracting all the wrong kind of attention...  I missed the first few minutes of "the DOG", too!

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
aircooled299
I guess I'd better watch out, I've heard about all of the shady characters you can meet in online chatrooms but never thought I'd run into them here LOL.  I had a similar "brush with the law" in my '61 with stock 40 hp. I blew a stop sign and got pulled over. The cop had just gotten a '66 for his daughter and spent about 20 minutes asking me questions about it. I had an extra hot vw's magazine in the car I gave him and he sent me on my way and told me to be careful 'cause they were going to be at that intersection for the next week watching that sign (everyone runs it). Not the kind of LAPD story that makes the news but that's ok as I wouldn't want to be the star of one of  those anyway.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
nipper552003

I honestly think the cop that stopped me thought I was a teenager- I had my black stocking cap pulled down, and I'd been to the gym earlier.  They roust the teens in this town a lot.  I imagine he was somewhat surprised to find a 52 yr. old guy driving that bug.  This guy wasn't particularly interested in the car, and seemed like the only experience he had with old VW's was watching a "Herbie" movie.  I'll watch winding out NellyBelle in the future...

John Scribner

Quote 0 0