hurley209

so i was going to start up my pug today cuz my friend was gna polish out my paint, but the bug didnt start. there was fuel going in the carbs, after a while you could smell it lika as if it were getting flooded, so we checked the coil, and seems like its dead, no spark. so im going to order another.
im currently running the flame thrower coil, should i go back to the blue coil? seems like th flame thrower died quite fast if thats whats wrong.

and just in case any other ideas of what could be wrong?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Before you condemn the coil you might want to suspect the ignition switch.  This is a common problem with Beetles.  The ignition switch in its farthest position delivers power to the starter and the coil.  In the running position it delivers power to the coil.  Set the ignition switch into the running position and test for power coming to the + side of the coil.  If there is no power here no amount of replacement coils is going to revive the bug.  You can even take a "hot" + wire to the coil in the fashion of your basic garden variety car theif and see if that fires up the engine when you turn it over.  If it does turn out to be an ignition switch, they are pretty cheap ( $15 or so ) and the job is not that difficult.
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
what about the points?  If you have someone turn on and off the ignition  switch you should here the idol control switch operate, that will tell you you have power to the coil. You can pull the distributor cap and with someone turning the engine over see a spark between the points and or wit the key on and an insulated screw driver separate the points to see if you have a good spark. 

My 72 is right about the electrical part of the ignition switch, they crack at a spring slot and lose contact for power.

saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
olspeed
If you don't have one already, a handy thing to make and have is a test light. get a 12v bulb and socket(if you are good with the handyman's secret weapon  you won't need the socket) with wire leads the longer the better and install small alligator clips on them. With this little item you can check to see if your key switch is working or any other electrical circuit is working. for the switch just pull the hot lead from the coil and connect the clip to it and the other to the spade on the coil. turn on the switch, if you have light you have power! To check the points just switch it to the wire between the coil and the points and you can see if they are working and even static time the engine. This little tool is a big plus for any electrical troubleshooting you may have to do on the car also.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
hurley209
got the new coil, didnt make a difference, so i connected a jumper cable to the positive on the coil to hot wire it  didnt work.
the coil never sparked at all.
i tested the positive coil wire when i turn the key, and the tester lights up.

so im thinking its my ignition. what do you think, probably gonna need a new pertronix ignitor? its the only thing i could think affecting it now
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
.....just a thought but when you ran the hot wire to the coil you were using the car's battery - right?  One wire from a remote battery would get you nowhere without a ground.  It is starting to sound like complications with the electronic ignition.  Did you keep the old stuff when you added the Pertronix?  You could swap it back to see if it comes to life.
Quote 0 0
hurley209
i put the hot onto the positive on the coil with the rest of the wires attached.

im also starting to thik maybe its just the ignitor ignition module dead. it was on there when i bought the bug, so who knows how many years the p.o ran it for.

and about the points, .. i dont have any
i didnt do the swap so i dont have any of those parts.

Quote 0 0