Wayne
I'm up in Toronto Canada and I'll be putting my Bug into storage for the winter. Does anyone else have to put their Bug to bed for the winter?

PS: I have an article here at the site that I wrote for VWT about storing your VW.

Hope it helps those of us that have to go without our Dubs for a few months

http://www.superbeetles.com/winterstorage.htm
Wayne Dean
SuperBeetles.com
AllAirCooled.com
Quote 0 0
73standard

No need to put in storage. One of the great things about Florida.

Quote 0 0
kingd33
Getting ready to put mine to bed in a few weeks,Just have to somehow keep the mice from enjoying them!!!!

Dave in Michigan
Quote 0 0
Wayne
There is an all-natural mouse repelant called Mouse Away. You can pick it up from Somatherapy

http://dreamingearth.com/ushop/index.cgi?ID=EJSDPQ
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Northwest Ohio would mean a certain death from rust for NellyBelle, my '64 bug from Phoenix.  She's never seen any significant rust of any kind except the battery area, and they salt the bejeezes out of our roads in the winter.  Even rain here isn't good for old cars.  So mine is residing in my (wife's) garage until I get the last fender and passenger door on, (my belly still looks like I was the loser in a bad knife-fight) then I move it to my brother's garage for headliner, carpet, seats, windows and stereo.  Then I don't know where she'll go for the winter, but inside somewhere.  And, yes, mice can be very destuctive to your old car- my first restoration attempt, a '70 Ghia had mice and rats nests in the back seat area when I got her, and the odor alone is nigh impossible to get out.   I'm jealous of you folks in warmer climes who can drive all year-round.  I hear mothballs around the car will discourage mice.

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
nipper552003

BTW- Excellent article, Wayne.  Just read it, and copied it for my notebook of such things.  That's why I subscribe to VWT!

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
Wayne
Thanks John. I'm getting started on putting mine away today.
Quote 0 0
flash
  Yes, the summers are a real pain the neck here in southern Arizona, but we never have to store our v-dubs in the winter.  People play golf and enjoy the out doors pretty much all year round here. Life is good.
Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
dods1600

Theres no way I'd store my beetle for the winter. I've never owned a car that handled so well in the snow, and once the chains are on the only thing that will stop it is high centering.

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
mikeyD
putting ol blue away for the winter here in jersey. last year (spring) when i unwrapped her i had to chase a possum out of the back seat....what a thrill. getting the jimmy 4wd ready, they say it's gonna be a real winter here. i miss driving the bug in winter, it is pretty fun in the snow, but the jimmy has real heat, and since i got it from arizona, it's rust free for now.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
That's it. She's gone to sleep for 4 or 5 months
Quote 0 0
SuperSlow73

I'm in Houston, Texas, and I heard some people are thinkin about putting there vw in storage, but thats crap, it dont get cold enough here, and man when i was in florida, we never stored ours either. I mean I dont think a mean 60 something degrees isnt something your Volkswagen didnt ever do in its whole life. I work late and leave work at like 1:30am and its all a little under 50, and I have to start that thing and drive it home for another 45mins. nice nice, shes never let my down yet, well with the right oil of course lol

1965 VW Beetle, "Thug Bug"
LOOKING FOR A GHIA, IN THE TX AREA
Houston Aircoolers
San Antonio Aircoolers
Quote 0 0
Precise1
 LOL Nipper, there is no such thing as a winner in a knife fight, not even a good one, what ever that is...
 Here in northern Cali by the coast, the bug project is on hold during the winter while I start my new job and get some $ tucked away. It is parked in the driveway only to be run on occasion for drying/charging purposes. I have to back it in so it is nose down to lessen the windshield seal leak. I'd tarp it but dont want to scratch things up; I'd car cover it but that just locks in moisture and condensation. I wish I could do better but I have no choice right now, and interior work is scheduled for spring anyway. Sigh, oh well, at least I have it. It is nice to drive the Pathfinder 4x4 with 31"AT's, V6 and heater for the winter anyway... Would you believe it snowed here last two years ? Just an inch or two, but at sea level and 20 miles from the ocean ? Gimme a break, time to move ! Winter just gives me time to study up, plan, and search for deals...

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Bernard- Northern CA sounds like a dream to us here in the snowbelt.  I spent time there as a young long-haired college student in the early 70's doing field studies in botany/biology and fell in love with the area.  (I actually grew up in Oceanside, CA, during the mid-late '60's- as a Marine brat).  I have nearly finished my '64 bug NellyBelle. She was the ideal "recovery project"- I would've gone looney just sitting around watching daytime TV for a month.   I'm about ready to go back to my real job in the OR... sans a few inches of my colon .  I found a beautiful heated building for my bug for the winter for 25.00/month, and I can access her any time I wish.  As an added benefit, the guy who owns the building is an old VW afficianado, and builds VW race engines as a sideline.  Enjoy your mild winter, Bernard.  We here are bracing for feet of snow,  subzero temps, bone-chilling winds out of Canada, and as of Monday, we won't see the sun again until May.  (And of course, tons of salt dumped indiscriminately on the roads)

John Scribner (P.S. my wife is the Nipper )

Quote 0 0
Precise1

Hey John (oops, sorry about the nipper reference   glad to hear you are up, about, and doing fine !! I've had a few 'knife fights' myself and the sitting around waiting afterwards could very well be the hardest part. I know I was whining about the winter, but then it's all relative; I've lived in Ca all my life and only see what you put up with on the news... My attitude about snow is that it's fun to visit and play in, then you go home... Great find with the VW buff's heated building. That sort of thing is hard to find around here, and I don't think you could rent a 5 gallon bucket for $25 a month.... Well, one can't have it all ! Good luck with the rest of the project. Be well.

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0