NoH2O
I'm trying to finish disassembling a 76 before this coming weekend(Bug-A-Palooza). Almost everything is out or off but the windows. What is the easiest method for removal? The doors are going as is, but I need the rears, windshield and rear window still. I've helped a friend install two rears but they were already out when I got there. I know they were somewhat hard to get in. We used string to pull the weatherstrip in to place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
If you are replacing the seals, just cut them off on the backside being careful not to gouge the paint and push the window into your helpers hands. Otherwise, what I do is take a couple of stiff plastic somethings and run them under the seal a little bit apart and pry from the inside out. Do a combo of sliding, prying and finessing. Once you get a window started, they come out relatively easily. It's mostly finesse, you can push VERY gently as you pry on the window but be patient 'cause otherwise you may as well just take a hammer and break the windows out as you will have to replace them anyway and it's a lot easier. There may be much better ways, but that is all I know. If you have old crusty seals, you may as well cut and change them as they are harder to take out than a newer more pliable seal.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
veedo
Take a slightly larger rope than the seal groove. Go inside the car a work the rope into the seal lip all the way around the window. Push the rope all the way down into the channel and this will hold the rubber away from the body area. Once this is done put slight pressure on the glass with your hand. Keep your hand and pressure close to the window rubber. The glass should start to come out. have your helper outside the car to catch the glass. This method is best used if you are trying to save the rubber. If you are using new rubber, Just cut the old rubbers away from the glass. The windshield is the easiest to break because of it's size. I usually always cut the windshield out. Good luck and let us know how you do with it.
Air cooled before water cooled. They both need more to go fast. Let them breathe and breed the more the better. 55 oval, 58 ragtop,
57 vert, 67 vert, 75 german look monster.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Well about 5 mins. after my post I had all of them out. The seals were so dry, they basically fell apart in my hands. It was mostly the outside that was real bad. I managed to get a screwdriver just behind the rubber and peel it out enough to get a hold of it and just peeled it out while holding onto the glass. It went surprisingly easy. I did however break the windshield. D'oh!! Used the same technique, but when I went to start to feed the glass out, it cracked right at the middle of the windshield. I used hardly any force at all,it cracked about 3/4's of the way down the glass. Oh well. These are all parts going to Bug-A-Palooza with me next weekend in Tenn. I gutted the entire car all the way down to the harness. I can't seem to coax it between the rear quarter and inner panel. There's like spray foam insulation in the cavity and the wires won't budge. Any way, thanks to everyone who posted ideas.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I find its easier to cut the rubbers if the rubbers are hard....
and most old ones are...
I noticed I took My other glass out of MY beetle and the rubber is still intact... so I don't know how I got it out....
I'm sure I would have cut the windscreen out...
but I didn't use the original windscreen as it was the toughened glass
shatter thype that are now illegal...
I bought a new laminated windscreen with green tinting across the top.

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

htp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0