MLTigger

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can lube a window regulator that is getting hard to crank up and down?  If you can, how would you go about doing it?

my driver side window on my '90 Toyota pickup is getting tough to open and close.  And I need my window since I don't have AC.

I know it's not a VW but maybe I can take a little VW knowledge and transfer it to my truck.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Most regulators can be reached behind the door panel. Spray it with some PB Blaster or something along those lines. That thing slide beautifully.

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

I've taken doors apart before so that is no problem.

I've never thought about using PB blaster as a lube but I guess it would clean out the 16 years worth of grime that has accumulated.  I'd like to stay away from buying a new regulator as Toyota parts can be expensive.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I hear ya on that. I drive a 2000 Tundra that is in need of an Oxygen sensor.

1 of 4 on the engine. They are all priced differently, mine being the $140 one. Ridiculous.

That PB Blaster will indeed clean out the grooves on the regulator, then maybe hit it with some lithium grease or something along those lines. Don't know if graphite would work or not. I imagine it would.

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
MLTigger

My '90 is low tech it has the carb and 4 speed and vinyl seats and floors

try to find a 1990 with a carb LOL

That is why I like it!!!

No airbags, power windows, ac, not even power steering.

Come to think of it it is almost like a modern day beetle, simple, dependable, and fun to drive.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

That is true, but I need the V8 to pull my toys home on the trailer. That's why I chose the Tundra. I've owned Toyota's most of my life, and wouild love to have an older extended cab but they just don't have what it takes to pull a trailer with a rusty bug on it! Nowadays power everything is almost standard on all vehicles. I hate power windows and automatics, but today's world is lazy. I think that's what hooked me on the VW's. You actually have to drive your car. Back to basics!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0