NYer_in_MI

Heya, guys.  It looks as though I may, and I mean "may", well be switching much of Gunter's mechanical (motor, trans), interior and exterior bits (bumpers, mainly) onto a 1970 Standard.

As I had bought a half pan for Gunter, a '72 T 1302, which shares much in common with the pre-73 Standards, do you think I would be able to use that half pan (as long as I paid for it) when needed on the '70 Standard?  Or will the difference in front ends make too much of a difference and I'll have to get a whole new set of pans for this other car.  The floors are ok now, and the car can be driven as is, but I will eventually, meaning "soon", want to replace with new.  Help!  Dan

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
dods1600

I was told that the super and standard don't share the same pan... Mind you i've never bought pans.

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

I am sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I went to the Mid America Motorworks web site and looked up the standard pan half and the super pan half and the part  number were the same 303-583 and 303-584.

Now I'm not a rocket scientist nor do I play one on TV, but if the part numbers are the same then I would say the pans are the same.

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Sweet!  I was gonna check out my catalogue, which I leave out like a coffee table book each time I get the latest one, but I've not been able to get to it.  Seems like every time I'd crack the thing open, something would happen that needed my attention.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

According to the catalog, those numbers are for a 71-72 Beetle, left and right hand side respectively. The Super isn't even mentioned until 73 in the half pan w/ seat tracks section. It goes Beetle 50-70, then Beetle 71-72, then to Beetle 73-77 and Super 73-79. Check around Dan, somebody will know the definitive answer.

Sam said he'd hold the car for you until you were ready, so if you want it it is yours!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi,

I'm only guessing, but maybe the seat runners are the only difference??

Most people don't mix parts from supers and non supers, especially pan bits...

but i can't see why there would be a difference...

We all know there is a big difference forward of the pedals...

Maybe someone out there has already tried, and knows the answer.

Lee -- 68autobug - australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
VineyardBug

Ended up here for similar pan problems. I'm planning on a replacement for the rear quarter pans on my 71 super convertible and can't find anything specific for this year except the half pans. Mid America claims there quarters won't interchange while a couple other sellers claim there standard 71  quarter pans will interchange with the 71 super convertible. One of the sellers has the Danish pans which he claims are thicker and I don't mind the expense except I don't want to waste cash on something I can't use. Has anyone had experience in this area and can tell me if the pans are close with minor alterations, don't fit or fit exactly.  Just seems strange that I am getting conflicting answers on this floor pan.

Stuck in the 50's
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker

VineYardBug,
Seeing as how this was your first post to the site, welcome!!
And seeing as how the original post is over a year old, it’s nice to see someone who has taken the time to at least research the issue at hand.
I did a little hunting around through the ever growing list suppliers in my favorites. It looks like there is something “different” for sure with the 71-72 Super CV bugs. I did find a supplier that states this part is specifically for your bug.

Floor Pan Half, Left, Bug CV  Part #: 151-701-061 N BR
Floor Pan Half, Right, Bug CV Part #: 152-701-062 N BR
Oversize fee + $10 crate fee apply.
W/O Jack Support. Beetle CV Only 71-72.
Reproduction
SUPER BTL CV 71-72
BUG CV 71-72

Interesting note that it does show the same part for Super and Standard for the convertibles those 2 years.

Hope this information helps you, and again welcome aboard.

"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0