Dan Show full post »
flash
Also, check to make sure your tires on the front end are not out-of-round. I got rid of my shimmy after new tires and new urathane bushings. Also, having the tires balanced on the car as I mentioned in a previous message is a good idea.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Ron
Oh yes,
The ole shimmy dilemma! I replaced all of my rubber bushings with urethane ones, replaced the shocks and struts (KYB's all around), replaced tie rod ends and replaced the steering dampener. Did the shimmy go away after all this work? Nope. I had to take my bug to a good front end shop and have them spin balance the wheels, both front and back . After that, bingo! Shimmy gone! Every time I take off a wheel I have to have the wheel rebalanced, this is the only way I found to halt this dreaded problem. This is especially true with after market wheels (i.e. EMPI style mags ect....) Good luck with yours,

Ron
Quote 0 0

I have a 71 Super that suffered from the shakes and I did all the normal things, alignment, tire balance, urethane bushings and new struts. Nope, did not work but then one day I visited with an old VW guy who told me if you want the shakes to stop, get yourself a 100 lb bag of anything and put it on top of the spare tire and the shakes will be gone. Did that and wow,no more shakes and I have taken the old car up to 85 mph before backing off.

The bags of sand is not a viable alternative for a non-shaking front end.  I got another front end alignment, new tires and changed the front damper to a version that is a little more stiff than stock and wow, no more 100-pound bag.  The car drives like a dream and had it up to 90 and backed off.

Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Well after 5 years of having my bug, the steering wheel doesn't break my hand off anymore. After rebuilding the front end I got a couple of bad alignments and then I was like forget it and drove far away to a bug shop and got a real alignment. That and the fact that my friend who works for the VW's that start with an "A" gave me a top of the line tire balance, I now have a great front end. Finally! I should have the car restored by the time I am 50.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
I am wanting to know if anybody else has used another company besides Top-line and there "adjustable struts".
I have a 72SB, and right after I replaced all of the tie rods ends, I started to hear loud banging noise every time I go over a bump. Also the ball joints are hitting the inside of my front rims. I am looking into installing spacers since I have front disc brakes maybe that might help. I will be replacing all the bushings too.
Thanks for any info Daniel
Quote 0 0
brianwheelies
go to http://www.toplineparts.com and look at the shimmy section, it will tell you in order what makes the biggest difference in getting rid of the shakes.
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
That is crazy how are the ball joints hitting the rim? Got any pics? Mine, the nut and stuff point away from the rim, however if the ball joints where really messed up maybe that could make them move enough. I have been in some serious accidents with the front end and never had that problem. Good Luck
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0

Well I had some spacers made here at me work by a friend of mine and they worked great. No more scrapping on my rims. He made them out of 3/16 aluminum plate. The bolt on the ball joint was the one hitting the rim. I also noticed that the valve stem would hit every time the would pass over the caliper, not by much but would hit. Hopefully I can fix that loud loose noise now. I am glad though that it does not shake at all.
Daniel
Quote 0 0