71 super beetle.  I have just put a new dimmer relay in the fuse box.  The headlights will come on now, but it will not switch from high to low.  There are five pins on the relay - 4 of them are close together, and one is kinda to the side. Does anyone know if all 5 pins should have a wire going to them ? I am just wondering why the side pin doesnt have a wire. Could it be the wire that comes from the switch is supposed to go there. If so, does anyone know what color that wire is or what my problem may be ?

Quote 0 0
flash

You may find the answer here:

http://www.geocities.com/vwresource/mihov_index.html

A VW help site.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
nak45z
i just did my wiring and the dimmer relay only uses four plugs the one to the side is extra plug.  (x) one goes to the light switch, 56a and 56b/F goes to each head light (high beam), last one to s goes to turn signal switch (brown white wire/S)  hope that helps.

mike
Quote 0 0
Got it fixed. The wire that runs to the dimmer switch  goes through a connector plug. It wasnt making a good connection. Thanks for the help. 

I guess I could introduce myself. My name is Bruce and I live in Louisiana. I am married with three children. I am 29 years old. I have always loved vw's and finally got one for myself. I found it sitting and rusting away and thought it needed some TLC. So here I am now researching. I have been a mechanic since a teenager. I am currently the production supervisor for a manufacturing facility in the mining industry.
Quote 0 0
nak45z
welcome bruce,

you will find this webpage very useful.

mike
Quote 0 0
Marc
There are two basic types of hi/lo relay used by VW. One has only 4 terminals and the other has 5. The fifth terminal is "30" - it's there to provide control power for the relay; on 4-terminal relays, the control power comes from Term 56 (input from the headlight switch) via an internal jumper.
You can use a 4-prong in place of a 5-prong with no modifications. To use a 5-prong in place of a 4-prong you must supply power to the 30 Terminal. On a car with a modular fusepanel merely wrapping a thin wire around both the 56 and 30 terminals before inserting the relay is sufficient; soldering it is deluxe.
Quote 0 0
nak45z

my relay does have the 5th prong but i did not connect it because it did not show on the wiring diagram.  what would be the benefit of connecting it.

mike
Quote 0 0
Marc

If it works without it, no benefit in connecting it.

Quote 0 0
nak45z

mine is working fine without it.  maybe the 5th prong is used for a different year or for a different application.  the bently and hayes handbooks show the installation connecting four only......

Quote 0 0