staticattic
Today I was driving home from work running wide open on the interstate, like I do every day. All of a sudden my car started slowing down. Even at wide open, I could go no faster than 62mph. And at that speed, it seemed like it was struggling. Fortunately I only had a few miles to go before I got home. When I pulled in my driveway and turned it off, my son was outside playing in the yard. He came over to see me and said, "Dad, your car sounds like it burped and I can hear water running somewhere." I thought he was playing around, but when i got out, I heard it too. It wasn't water, but gas. And it was bubbling in the 1 & 2 carb. Fuel was still running in and sitting on top of the butterflies and I could hear it bubbling underneath the butterflies. When I opened the throttle a little and let it run down, steam started coming out the top of the emulsion tubes. Just for grins, I re-routed my fuel lines. I had originally routed the fuel line out of the pump, to the "T", and underneath the alternator.  That is the route the fuel lines have always taken. The portion with the "T" had dropped down and was sitting directly on the case. Guess it must have gotten too hot. Now the fuel line section with the "T" is running over the top of the alternator and tie wrapped so it doesn't touch anything. I hope that fixes my problem...
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Addikit
That's scary =/

Got a fire extinguisher in your car? =P

Shopping for my first V Dub :)
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Wow that is really odd, I have never had that problem with my duals. My fuel lines have always run under the alternator,and it's never even burped. One question on the tee is it plastic or metal.let us know if it fixes the problem.
olspeed

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
staticattic

The "T" is metal. I think I have a pressure relief valve that sticks sometimes. Sometimes my engine flings oil and sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it is definitely coming out from behind the bottom pulley and getting on the belt. This started about a couple of weeks ago, I have just not had the time to really troubleshoot it. When I would clean the engine bay and drive around for awhile, it would be just as clean as when I started. Other times, when I wasn't looking for it, I wold notice an arc of oil drippings on my driveway and open the hood and find a mist of oil everywhere. I read the Bentley manual last night as well as the John Muir book concerning flinging oil. I found out a stuck pressure relief valve will cause the oil pressure to get too high, pushing it past the oil slinger, and cause engine temps to sky rocket. And yesterday, I had a nice spray of oil all over the engine compartment. Not sure if that is the cause of my problem, but it is a cheap and easy place to start. Luckily I have nothing planned for this weekend; no work, no "honey-do's", no school work, nothing.  I don't have any other form of transportation, so I had to drive it to work today. I'll take it easy on the drive home, then once it cools off to a comfortable temp, I'll check the relief valves. The last thing I need is a popped oil cooler or cooked engine.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Is yours a dual relief case? When you pull them out if you have any scaring, you can usually clean them up with emery but it's only temporary I'ed get new ones ASAP afterward. Also on the oil slinging is your breather hooked up as that is important to help keep that from happening. On any of the engines that are larger than stock that I have built I have always put a breather system that evacuates from the valve covers also. I have always thought that when you get the larger pistons traveling around in there it creates more pressure and it needs to go some where.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
staticattic

when you say "breather", i think of the hose that comes out of the oil filler neck which curves down and opens up below the cooling tin. When it comes to a breather that evacuates from the valve covers, I don't have one. I have looked at them, but never bought a set. I have included an old picture of my engine. Notice the tube coming out the the filler neck and going down. I have asked the local VW shop many times if I should upturn that tube and put a little filter on it since starting the engine causes negative pressure which could potentially suck in dirt. They have always told me I didn't need one.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0