I have a 74 superbeetle and want to start the restortation process. Where do I start. I already have a new engine, I need window seals, interior, body work, paint job  ETC.... I just don't know where to start.  Please help. Thanks

Quote 0 0
s0cks
This is very simple. Start at the front of the car and work back. Work from the suspension up, and replace anything that needs it, while working on anything that is fixable.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

i would do it simply like he said, but i would do the paint before any of the interior, (the interior being the last thing i would do. This is because i could tear the interior and trunk area out, and paint the entire thing inside and out, and then i would put in the interior, (much easier to do yourself than you would think) the windows and all the trim, etc...

Chris

Quote 0 0
s0cks
Most cheap painters won't jam, and they won't paint the inside. That is an upper eschelon paint job. I'd reccomend you find the best painter you can afford. I am going to spray my own, but that is because I got a new job yesterday, as a mechanic, and at the shop where I work (collision, thank god), they have a booth, as well as a multitude of other tools I can use to fix my car (on my own time, in my own bay). I plan on doing a Dark green metal flake, with purple flake flames, alot of airbrush shading, numbers on the doors, in some flame pattern I have yet to come up with, and of course. my name right above the driver side window. The inside will be black, with green stitching, and purple flames. How can I afford all this? Because I picked up a J O B, and I'm making money, as well as I now have access to the tools I need. w00t.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
treeman

here's a pretty good website for get-it-on-the-road, none-of-that-namby-pamby-show-car-hooey:

http://members.tripod.com/~thomasamiller/volkswagenrestoration.html

keep rollin'

Bradford

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

Good luck with your beetle, the custom touches sound nice on it, if only i could paint cars in a booth, well maybe not, i would have bought a ton of cars by now... oh well...

Chris

Quote 0 0