space_age_cesar
...or so they say. After extensive driving, smoke billows out of or off of my intake manifold. I think it might be a busted gasket. Anyone else have any imput? I replaced the the boots a couple weeks ago, just FYI.
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
1969 Manual Beetle stock daily driver
Quote 0 0
Tobra
What year? perhaps oil on the intake, bugs do tend to blow a bit of it
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
'71 SB. I found out that my ATF hose is busted. So, I'm chalking it up to that spilling on my manifolds. I'll get the hose replaced sooner or later. I checked my local parts store and they didn't have that exact hose so they referred me to a "hose shop". Hope it turns out alright.
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
Quote 0 0
Wayne
As long as the hose that you are replacing doesn't have any sharp preformed bends in it, you should be all right. Make sure that the hose you purchase is good to carry ATF. You don't want the fluid to eat through or swell the hose so that it will leak again.
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
Well, I got the hose replaced with rubber that goes above and beyond the required attributes of the stock hose. problem is is that it's still leaking. I'm not sure which of the two hoses it is that is leaking though (the end that connects to the tranny is the one that's leaking). I tightened the hose down pretty darn good and when I (finally, more on this later) got the car running, there was a huge transmission fluid leak under my car. After the initial gigantic spill, it slowed down to a small, steady drip. my question is this. I can't remember what the bolt looked like exactly, but the fitting (I was told it's a banjo fitting) at the end of the hose that the bolt goes through has some sort of oppening and is hollowed out so that the fluid can get into the tranny or so that the vaccuum is there or something, right? Is it possible that the hole in the bolt is blocked off, or is it even possible to block it off by over tourquing?
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I don't think that You could over tighten the hose clamp until the Banjo bolt closed up !!! The High Pressure oil Hose needs to be a tight fit on the Banjo bolt, then I use two hose clamps on everything... Good quality Hose clamps too..
ATF fluid flows thru the hoses... High Pressure in the smaller hose, and the larger hose is the return ATF line back to the ATF tank... I thought My hoses must have been incorrect, as they use hose clamps on the high pressure hoses and hydraulic fittings on the low pressure hoses...
May have been like that from the factory... One of these days I may have the high pressure hose made up with crimp on hydraulic connectors... Guaranteed Not to leak then..

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0