hurley209
im trying to find my oil cooler to see if its loose and is causing the tiny leak of oil ... becouse, although its tiny after a while it adds up on the drive way..lol
can anybody help?
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Pretty much right above number 3 cylinder, but offset into the "doghouse" in your application. 74 right? You have to remove the fan shroud to get to it which will require you to drop the engine. After that it's pretty straight forward. The seals themselves are very easy to change.
Where does your engine look like it's leaking? I know that can be almost impossible to tell at times, but did you rule out a pushrod tube? In my experience they will leak before the oil cooler.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
hurley209

its leak right at the end of the sump plate.. by the tranny... i checked to make sure it wasnt tranny oil, and it doesnt seem like it..

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Dripping down to the sump plate then? It could be the cooler. Did you try completely cleaning the engine and then trying to see where it's originating? Use some kind of degreaser and then spray it off good. Scrub it if it's really grimy. That may help pinpoint the source. How old is the engine? Main seal maybe??

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
bumblebee73

You don't have to drop the engine to get to the cooler , there is another way to remove the fan shroud . you have to remove the hood and hinges the carburator and intake, then the shroud. if it isn't leaking from the cooler , it could be leakinfg from your raer main seal.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0
hurley209

i cleaned it saturday after i checked my valves and changes the oil..and it helpd me see the drip... my buddy and i are planning to lift the car and see if we could find it this weekend.. for now i put in a leak stopper aditive to the oil, hopefully that solves the issue..

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
bumblebee73 wrote:

You don't have to drop the engine to get to the cooler , there is another way to remove the fan shroud . you have to remove the hood and hinges the carburator and intake, then the shroud. if it isn't leaking from the cooler , it could be leakinfg from your raer main seal.

By the time he did that I could have it out and fixed. lol!! Don't forget getting that pesky thermostat disconnected from the shroud from underneath. Always fun. Pulling it will give you a better glimpse at the main seal too. I'm all about easy now. I've bloodied knuckles too many times doing things the hard way.
As far as the additive, I'm not a huge fan of that kind of stuff. I had a 64 Duece (Nova) in high school with the good old 250 straight 6 in it. Thing ran great but leaked oil out at about a rate of a quart a week. Rear main was gone. Dad said pull it and fix the seal, but I wouldn't listen. Bought a bunch of that leak stop stuff and dumped it in but it never really seemed to do anything for the leak. When we finally did pull it, it was so gummed up with that crap everywhere. Never again. Maybe today's stuff is better. That was in the 80's.
Old VW's are prone to leaking. Just watch your levels and keep it topped off until you have the time to fix it right.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Pulling it is easier but it can be done in the car if you feel you have to. But I would be checking the front main seal(rear engine car) and once the flywheel is off I would also check the oil galley plugs as they are prone to leak also. One other thing if it is the oil cooler check the engine case and the housing for cracks around the passages as I have seen this happen also
Olspeed 

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0