odyssey704
Just picked up a 1976 Vert.  I have heard that certain wheels may cause the tires to rub on the struts on Super Beetles.  I'm considering chrome VW wheels or the 8-spoke Empi's.  Can anyone advise on what wheel and tire combos they are running on their Supers? 

My local VW parts source has some chrome wheels, but he mentioned that they are from a new supplier and he isn't sure if the offset is correct for a Super and that the tires may rub.

This got me worried.  I don't want to spend the money and THEN find out they are rubbing.

'76 Super 'Vert
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
You should be fine with a set of 8 spokes. As for the chromies, see if your supplier will let you mock one up or will do it for you to make sure. Seems to me that they'd want to know as well so they may be willing to work with you.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Chisel86

Since you have a late super, the front track is wider than any other beetle. The 8-spoke repops will not fit correctly as they have too little offset and they will stick out and possibly rub if you are lower than stock by any amount. Stock chromies should work ok, but measure you current wheel and compare it to the new one to see if it will fit.

Mod at [url=http://www.superbeetlesonly.com]SuperBeetlesOnly.com[/url]
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Did the track change between '73 and '76? One of the kids in my club runs 8's on his '73 super and they're not sticking out at all. He's even running 195's... How much wider is the '76's track?
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Chisel86
If his is an early 73, he may have the three-bolt strut found on 71-72 Super beetles. The later two-bolt strut assy will increase the track by about 3/8"-1/2".
That said, it's possible for any Super to run either setup. If you want the 8's and they don't fit right, you could swap your suspension components (control arms, spindles, ball joints, struts) with the two-bolt ones.

Mod at [url=http://www.superbeetlesonly.com]SuperBeetlesOnly.com[/url]
Quote 0 0