Mookbooker
this part is right before my fuel pump and wondering what it is? because I think I need to replace my fuel pump and stumbled upon a mystery part. (attached)

the second attached pic is a wire that comes bundled with the rest of wires that all attach to the alternator/generator but the wire in my hand is about an inch to short to reach anything! any ideas on this? thanks for you responses.

Quote 0 0
divot27

Maybe an after market fuel filter????

Quote 0 0
Mookbooker
It has the vw symbol engraved on it and is made in Germany so I guess it is stock...
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
What year's your car? looks like some sort of emissions junk to me.

As to the brown wire, I have one too. It was the ground. Mine got old and brittle and useless so the PO replaced it and left the wire there. Screwed onto the screw terminal behind the posts on the generator and goes to the regulator. if it helps I can take a photo...

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Mookbooker
I have a 72 super beetle convertible.  A picture would be great to see where the wire goes.                   

My problem now is I am not getting gas to the engine.  I replaced all of the fuel line because it was dry rotted and added a fuel filter directly under the gas tank.  The fuel filter isn't filling with gas.. and gas is not getting to the back so I believe the problem is the fuel filter or that first thing that intercepts the gas right before the fuel filter. (first picture thing) 
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Ok, I'm going to ask this not to be a jerk, but as a means of eliminating the simple things first.

you made sure to install your fuel filter with the flow arrow pointed toward the rear of the car, correct? They only typically flow one way.

If that thing in your hand is supposed to be some sort of fuel line management, I'd toss it. (presuming it's not going to make your car fail emissions testing  if you have to do that) I have a '66 and that part is not present on my fuel system, so I can tell you pretty comfortably that pitching it shouldn't hurt. Run fuel line from the tank, to a filter, to the hard line in the tunnel. See if you can get gas to pass to the rear of the car. If so, you've found your problem. If not, toss the filter and see if that does it. if you're not getting gas out of the tank, it's time to check the screen in the bottom of the tank and see if you need to clean it.

If you have gas getting through the filter and into the hard line, but not getting back to the rear of the car, you may have an obstruction in the hard line. The easiest way I know of to clean that is to snake it. Take a throttle cable and chuck it in your drill. Feed the other end into the hard line and take it for a spin until it feeds out at the rear. That should remove any obstructions. Then chase it with compressed air. If you do this, run a secondary filter at the rear by the transmission for a while to make sure no funky gunk breaks loose and gets into your carb.

Once you have gas flowing to the rear, you should be able to get it into the fuel pump and from there to the carb. make sure you have the inlet and outlet lines plumbed correctly or you're going to end up blowing bubbles in your gas tank instead of sucking gas up into your carb.

Hope that makes sense. let us know how you fare and we can help you along if you get stuck.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

I ran into the same problem.  Turns out that when I put the tank back in I put a kink in the outflow line.  Betcha that is what has happened.

Quote 0 0
Mookbooker
I am happy for this advice. 
First off no kinks in the fuel line. Fuel filter is going correct direction and is under the gas tank in the front. I didn't know about a screen in the gas tank so i'll check that out.. logically that seems to be where the problem is now. 

If that is not the problem I also ordered a fuel pump last night and made sure the fuel pump push rod was the correct size.
Quote 0 0
Mookbooker
Added new fuel pump still did not fix problem... took fuel hose off of tank and was placed in portable gas can to by-pass fuel tank, this did not fix the problem.  I was getting no gas to the back still!!   Finally looked at Fuel Pump Flange under fuel pump...and it was broke into three separate pieces(i still need to get one piece out)  I am confident that this was my problem..(stupid plastic crap) ordering a new one and will let you know if this was it! 
Quote 0 0
Mookbooker
The answer to what the first picture is a Fuel Cutoff Valve.  These came in 1971-1972 models.... I simply took mine out and it is a lot cleaner.
Quote 0 0
bumblebee73
the wire looks like the ground to the generator/alt, therer shoule be a flat head screw screwed into the body of the alternator about 3 inches behind and to the left of the other alternator wires, rite where your hand is in that pic
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0
68autobug
HI
I've never seen that 4 pipe piece on an air cooled engine..
Have seen them on other vehicles..
If the base of the fuel pump is broken, it still shouldn't stop the shaft from going up & down and pumping fuel...

You could go the other way..  place a metal cover over the fuel pump rod guide and install an electric fuel pump...

the kinked hose under the fuel tank happens very often...
You can't see it kink when the tank goes in...
best to make the hose much longer than needed...

cheers

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0