I wish I had some photos of these things, but y'all are knowledgable types so I think you will know what I'm talking about.  I was studying my wife's '71 Super and was under the front end just trying to get a feel for what's going on under there.  I noticed that the front of the frame head around that square aperture was slightly off-color from the rest-like something might have been attached there at some point (it's a very stright edged rectangualr shape).  Any ideas?  Also, if you look in the trunk while standing at the front, the passenger side has a big hole that goes into the passenger compartment.  It's not a rusty hole.  Finally, the plastic tube on the driver's side wall that runs from thetrunk to the floor is for what??  That's all for now.  Thanks for your time.  71SB

Quote 0 0
MDs8erDUDE

I guess the hole that goes into the passanger compartment would be where the glove box should be, but is missing? And those tubes that run to the floor i guess would be the defroster tubes to run heat to the windshield. Not sure about the thing on the frame head....

Rob J

1970 in progress
Quote 0 0
No, the glove box is there.  The hole is on the left side of the tank.  If I were to reach down through it, I could grab the passenger's leg.  I don't think the tube is for heat cause it's only on the one side.  Man I wish I had a digi-cam!
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I could be way off on this but did the car ever have A/C that you know of? My '74 did before I got it and there was a hole to the left of the fuel tank that was taped off with aluminum tape. The PO said it had A/C but was missing when he got it so he taped up a spot where something A/C related tied into the dash at that point. I never messed with it because I figured it would help keep the fuel smell out of the cab in the summer time. I never investigated it any further but it was a hole right about where your talking about I think. Just a possibility??

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
My wife is at least the 3rd owner and one of the other owners took out a lot of stuff.  The VW mechanic I use also said it sounded like A/C, but I didn't think they introduced A/C til mid-70's.  Is it difficult to find these units at swap meets and such?
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I'm not sure what year they became available. They are around. I usually see bits and pieces here and there for sale and once in awhile you may find a complete system. http://www.thesamba.com is your first place to start looking. I believe Loren a.k.a. The Blues has A/C in his bug. He may be able to point you in the right direction. I remember awhile back there was a website or something that someone posted regarding A/C units. Try a search on this forum for it. I know it's been discussed before. Good luck!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD

It was probably an A/C unit, The under dash type had one hole for all the hoses etc to run into the cabin and the whole unit bolted to the bottom of the dash.

The best place if found for A/C is gilmore-enterprises in FL. They have a system that is easy to install.

Yhey even created a mirror image of their existing system so I could put it in a RHD super. They did all that site unseen and it fit right in. no extra charge.

Quote 0 0