tswillow

We have a '75 Fuel Injected Super Beetle that I have started a restore project on. I am a novice at this and have a few questions.

Picture #37 is the engine compartment for reference

Picture #36 shows the upper left corner of the compartment and a small round plug, which I belevie is call  Top Dead Center (TDC). There is a mating plug on the engine that was NOT plugged in when I pulled the engine. Does this feed back to the fuel injection module? If not what is it's purpose.

Picture #35 This shows the lower right corner of the engine compartment and a rectangular plug with 6 leads. This was not pluged in either. Does someone know what this is for?

On another topic., When I look for parts in various catalogs I find a number of exhaust items that are labeled either California or Non California. My quesiton is ... How do I tell if this car is a California car or not?

Click image for larger version - Name: P1010037.JPG, Views: 40, Size: 73.54 KB Click image for larger version - Name: P1010036.JPG, Views: 47, Size: 70.92 KB Click image for larger version - Name: P1010035.JPG, Views: 58, Size: 70.80 KB
Quote 0 0
dizi

for what i can tell you now is that there isnt going to be a plug for (tdc) thats when the piston reaches the end of the cylinder. tdc is what you would use when doin a valve adjustment or timing, but i could be wrong on aircooled since ive only had my 75 sb for 5 months but my engine and tranny came from a 74 sb the was deemed scrap... those other plugs i am not sure of but my best guess is they were for the electrical of the fuel injection. And the california stuff dont worry about it unless you live or somewhere with really strict emission laws and have to have your car tested before licsensing.

you did what???
Quote 0 0
olspeed
The little plug you talk about is for the TDC sensor but I think it was for the VW computer and not the fuel system. (VW computer plug in shown in pic# 36 the white plug) The wiring and plug in pic#35 should be for the injection brain box. On my 76(which was stripped of the fuelie parts) it had a brain box mounted in the passengers compartment on the rear firewall and has an opening for wiring to come out just about where that picture shows your wiring and plug. As for the Cali or non-Cali car there should be a tag in the drivers door jamb that states whether its a Federal spec or Cali car. Also your stock exhaust(if you still have it) would have a catalytic converter if it was a Cali car but none if it was just a Fed spec car.
Olspeed  
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
tswillow
Thanks for the info. As I get closer to putting this thing back together I'm sure it will be useful.

I am just about ready to paint it, will be priming it this week and hope to have a paint scheme layed out and completed by the end of Aug. Then start the reassembly.

It's my wife's car and she wants a whimsical paint scheme. I'm contemplating air brushing bubbles on it. 
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Quote:
 It's my wife's car and she wants a whimsical paint scheme. I'm contemplating air brushing bubbles on it  

That sounds cool shoot some pic's when you get it done.
I truly need to get back on my 76 (I keep saying this) but every time I start the wife hands my another honeydo list. I keep looking at what others are doing to their VW's on here, but when I go out to the shop to get a tool I look at my 76 sitting there with the sheet strategically thrown over it and it seems like I can hear it saying "You did this to me! Now what are you going to do about it!"
Guess I am going to have to burn the honeydo list!
Olspeed  
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0