cletus
I'm getting alot of that milky brown oil foam stuff up in the oil fill tube, and some water droplets in the drainpan this last time I changed oil.  Dipstick has remained clean.  Where could this be coming from?  Leaking in somewhere from sittin in the rain? Cracked head or case?
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If you are doing a lot of short trips in cool weather you will have atmospheric air condensing moisture especially in the filler tube.  The engine heats up and as it cools off moisture condenses as the cooling air cannot hold the moisture any more.  Do you have crankcase ventilation  from the filler up to the air breather?  A lot of the aftermarket air breathers I have seen at car shows skip this.  People cap off the line that goes from the filler on up to the air breather.  The really old ones used to ventilate down toward the road but this was discontinued as it was an easy early fix for pollution control.  Rather unlikely that rain could be making its way into the engine.  With a cracked head or case you would be looking at oil and compression coming out; not rain getting in.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0
cletus
hey thanks for the reply!  I have an old oil bath with breather hose hooked up, have the later oil fill without the downtube (later than my 68 anyway).  Maybe my engine doesn't heat up all the way could be it, but my other car never had this and it didn't even have a thermostat.  How much harm am I doing to my engine if any?  There must be some water getting into the crankcase, but it must boil out pretty quickly don't you think?  I've never seen any of the foam crap on the dipstick.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi
its very common to have this milky oily stuff on the oil cap
as Dan said, the oil isn't getting hot enough to boil the moisture up...

all My VWs have had this problem...
even though My engine has been running hotter than it should...

Very few air cooled VWs still have a thermostat..

they were usually taken off and trashed many years ago..
a local VW Mechanic [retired] told Me that He was instructed to take the thermostat off any air cooled VW , when it was serviced, but He used to adjust the thermostat so it was off all the time...

Maybe having a thermostat , properly adjusted would stop most of the brown milky substance...??

I also remember My father having the same stuff under His beetle's oil cap back in the 60s...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The long and the short of it is a bit of oily goop on  the underside of the filler cap is not a situation worth worrying about.  Make a habit of giving it a wipe clean now and again and a right proper cleaning when you do your oil change.  If this indicates that the engine is running cool you can thank your lucky stars.  If you want something to really wring your hands over, talk with the guys who are having overheating problems - they would trade places with you in a heart beat!  Dan (MY72BUG) in thawing out Goderich, Ont.
Quote 0 0
ryen74
I get water in my oil when it rains because I have dual intakes and a deck riser. The water gets in through the intakes. I put plastic bags over them then it is parked.
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0