Karl53

i've found a problem that has to be solved.  when it rains, my carpet on the drivers side almost always get soaked with water.  i don't know where the water is coming from, but it really bothers me. where could this water be coming from? the water sits on under my floormat, and collects right infront of the back seat.(basically the entire drivers side is soaked with water)  this isn't the frist time it's happened, today its raining, and there was a puddle on my floormat, and earlier this weekend i had to remove my carpet to dry it out.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

(o\ | /o) 2 1972 Superbeetle
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
ryen74
You may have a rotted hose coming out of your fan box in the trunk. When it rains, the water goes in the vents in front of the windshield and sits in the box. I had a bad hose and the water would run down the firewall and under the carpet.
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Is the carpet wet only when the car has been moving or is it getting wet just sitting out in the rain?  If it is the latter, the fan box is likely the culprit.  If you are getting water in there when the car has been in motion I would look at the area in behind the wheel wells where the body seals against the heater channel and floor.  Simulate it by having someone give her a hosing down while you look under the dash and around the front bulkhead.  MY72BUG
Quote 0 0
Karl53

it only seems to happen after it's been sitting ou tin the rain

1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
Karl53
i ran a test with the garden hose in the fan box and nothing came into the cab, so i'm still looking for where the water would come in,  i put new door seals in last year, so it can't be them.

1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
How is your windshield seal?  The old flat windshield style combined with a dried up seal could let a trickle of water in.  It would be a tight go but it would be worth while to  crawl into the luggage compartment, button her down and repeat the hose trick.  The cowl portion of the luggage compartment seal could also be the culprit.  MY72BUG
Quote 0 0
Wayne

My Super had two leaks. One was from the lower left corner of the windshield and the other was from the air box under the hood. The water would collect in and the drain hose was plugged. It eventually rusted through and leaked.

Quote 0 0