johnbigdog
I have a 74 super. 1600 d.p. 009 distributor. I recently converted to an electronic ignition trigger, made by pertronics.

My problem is that when i'm coming down in rpms to a stop, my bug dies.  I noticed @ idle my voltage regulator is'nt kicking in @ all sometimes. I get less than batt. voltage. It dies but i can start it up right after.

Voltage regulator puts out about 13v @ idle when it does idle, and max 15.03v. @ 60mph-65mph

I think that those voltages don't sound right to me. I also know i need to rebuild the  engine but not enough money......

Experience is more important then knowledge
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
is it FI or carb? If carb, what carb is on it? Sounds like teh idle cutoff solenoid's dead. Turn the key on, and go pull the wire out of it / plug it back in. you should hear the plunger engage when current is applied. If you dn't get anything, then you've probably found your culprit.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
johnbigdog
Carb # 34 pict3. Solenoid works correctly. I get Close to source voltage to the coil, choke, solenoid.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
How long has it been since the carb was rebuilt?  One thing to look for when a PICT 3 won't idle is whether the idle fuel supply is present.  In the venturi of the carb there is a series of very fine double holes in the wall of the venturi.  When the accelerator butterfly is fully closed there should still be a pair of holes under the butterfly.  Unlike most carbs there is a hole in the butterfly plate to supply the air supply at idle.  The butterfly closes completely but air passes through this hole to keep the engine running at idle.  I used a piece of ultra fine stainless steel wire to unplug the holes for the idle fuel supply.  At the same time  I noticed that the hole for the air supply was on the wrong side of the venturi.  Yes, the butterfly can be installed backwards and will still fit perfectly but the holes will be partly covered and the air will not be coming in on the correct side of the carb venturi !  Attention to this could fix your idle problem.
Quote 0 0
johnbigdog
Well it looks new/rebuilt. And i was told it was new by the previous owner. I Found out that my timing was 30deg. Btdc. Reading that similar thread i adjusted it to about 10deg. Btdc. Much better, starts faster and idles better. I also removed and cleaned the intake pieces and installed new gaskets. Found out that the carb. was held on with one nut.

I think i need to do a carb adjustment. Seems to want to die @ first start up dosnt matter if its warm or cold.  O well if its not one thing its another!

THANKS for the help !!!!!

Quote 0 0
MRanger

sounds like the carb, same thing happened on mine a while back. I adjusted the carb, and now shes like a new girl.

Quote 0 0
johnbigdog
hey i found out i was running VERY VERY lean. good reason.  I did a ignition scope on it and my ignition system is good and re-timed it. the bummer part is it brought my top en down to 70 mph. doing my math i should be able to get about to 80 ish with the oem gear ratios. oh well more fun. need to get dual webbers

Quote 0 0