ljohn

Again I was bored and temp in the low 40's went down and stripped the sound barrier off of the inside cargo area by rear window used a heat stripper gun worked well and no open flame. Found right side rear wheel well a few holes not bad but further down YIKES...by the torsion bars both sides plus may need to replace the whole cargo shelf itself....also need inside lower wheel well as well, How can a car look so good out side be so damn ugly underneath........Problem is I grown to liking this 73 so think I may save her yet......But I am debating....... LJohn...

LJohn
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I know how you feel . Tar board and undercoating can hide a lot. I found a big hole under the tar board in my engine compartment and another hole under the "Rust Proofing" in the front wheel well. A little grinding, sheet metal, pop rivets and POR15 and I was good to go!

Quote 0 0
ljohn

Wayne,

If I do proceed to repair her I will sandblast then cut out bad parts and try to weld in new ones from the looks of it I should get plenty of practice. Just starting to contact parts places and amassing a pile of parts getting ready for spring but will do what I can now...Will try to post pre pictures.......LJohn

LJohn
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
  John , check out this link if you run into trouble finding stuff.. Also you don't have to do a pan off restoraton if you dont have  problems  in hard to reach areas.  the pans can be cut out an replaced with out a dimantle.  I never had to do acomplete heater channel repacement So I  cant help you there.  I've been lucky. so far?

Interstate Used Parts & Auto Sales in San Marcos, CA specializes in original used VW parts for all air and water-cooled Volkswa
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Oldyeler, Thinking off the frame would be the best way to tackle this project

the heater channels are shot no saving them, But I have concerns about keeping the body shape to manufacture specs. Thinking I will weld cross members inside from side to side "X" and one from the two door post so as to help keep the correct specs (Hopefully)

Also have to replace the lower door piller on the driver side thinking I will get a piece of flat steel stock about 3 inch's wide and while the hinges are still connected to the car I will mark and drill this bar then attach the hinges to this bar then I can attach the new piller to this and use it as a gauge this should position the replacement pillar correctly and square

LJohn
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Big repairs LJohn...

My Son is scrapping a 1302S beetle with bad rust on the lower left hand hinge and below... thats all...

We don't normally fix cars with as much rust as you are talking about LJohn...

unless it was an early 50s beetle.... and worth a lot of money..

early type 2s usually have the most rust repairs....

Many Supers are wrecked and scrapped.... because of rust..

so they will be rare in the future....

but there are still many rust free beetles about in Australia...

so most rusted ones are wrecked....

Lee   - 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Lee , The door post is really solid but is rusted below the hinge holes thinking going to change heater channels need something solid to weld to so what is another piece of welding besides it only $15.00 for the new pillar.

I sure I could clean this up and still use the old one that's there but want this to be totally rust free. Beside it was a 25th weddiing gift to my wife last summer I do no have the heart to scrap it

As I had stated the outer body is in excellent shape (still think its worth saving) its the underneath section that need help. Beside everybody needs a hobbies, But be certain that I will be more selective on my next beetle purchase, thinking this is a good learning curve and I like this sort of projects but I mostly help rebuild houses.

There is a 1975 beetle about 25 miles from here I will work on the farmer and try to agree on a price right now he is way off the price , this is the one I stated last summer he wanted $5000 needs repainting a little body work, little interior and minor mechanical work thinking $2000 + -

Its really not as bad as it sounds just that like I said I tend to go overboard on things I could patch and plug it and run it , the wind does not blow thru her its mostly solid, the floor pans I could sand and paint and they would look good but proper way is to replace and .....LJ

LJohn
Quote 0 0