71superbeetle
My question is about the rear end.  I have a 71 super and recently i noticed a grinding/ rubbing sound when i make sharp left turns.  I have also noticed this noise when  traveling at highway speeds but only when i let off the gas.  As soon as a re- apply throttle it stops. There has also been a bit more vibration lately too.  I looked at the CV boots and they look fine.  I turned the shafts and noticed a little sound coming from the joints but it was the same on both sides with little play.  Anybody have any ideas?
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I had some grinding noise in the front.  It turned out to be the wheel bearings.  The way to check wheel bearings is pretty simple.  Jack up the wheel (the one in question, or all if you want to check them all) and turn it.  Give it a good spin (in neutral for the rears, of course).  If you hear noise, that's the wheel with bearing issues.

You can narrow it down by driving about 25mph and swerving from left to right.  The side with the issue will sound off as you lean into it (right side while turning left and visa versa) and go quit in the other direction.  Be careful.  Don't get stopped *sirens*!

Once I replaced the bearings, the noise stopped.

I had vibrations too.  That was due to being out of alignment.  I think it was Cobey (here in the forums) who told me that "vibrations at speeds are almost always due to being out of alignment".  So get your front end alignment checked.

The vibrations on my Bug when away as soon as I got the front end realigned.  I still get a slight shake/wobble around 55mph, but that may be due to the fact that it's a Super Beetle.  I hear they are notorious for that.

It might not hurt to check your cv-joints.  They need to be removed, cleaned, repacked (with grease) and reinstalled every so often.  I'm not sure how often, but I know mine are definitely due.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
I know my front end is in good shape.  I have all new tie rods and center drag link.  The bearings are in good shape and the same can be said for the ball joints.  I will repack my cv joints and see what that does.  But what about the noise when i make left turns?
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
Well i checked the wheel bearing on the back.  They made no sound when i spun them but there seemed to be a little more play than i would think.  I grabbed the top and bottom and it wiggled, plus it wiggled from side to side.  The left rear tire had some play in it too but i dont know how much is to much.  Well i took apart the right rear wheel and the seal looked good and the bearing looked ok but seemed loose.  Is there another bearing farther back towards the cv joint? 
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
68autobug

This is a common occurence in IRS rear axles...

I was told that the bearings wear into the housings....

I don't know if that is correct or not...

there is a spacer [no 7] between the two bearings.

I have sent You a diagram of the rear axle....

My Beetle has the same problem....

but I'm not going to do anything....

Just grease the bearings well with Moly Lithium grease an You shouldn't have any problems...

Lee Noonan     68Autobug   Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug

If You are going to grease the CV Joints make sure You use Lithium based Moly grease.... It works wonders.. even with worn CV Joints...

and lasts a LONG time....

Lee Noonan     68Autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
I think that is what i am going to do.  I'll get some moly lithium grease and take care of those parts.  Thanks for the help.
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
treeman

Lee- I guess I am a sucker for exploded drawings. It brings out the "tim the toolman" in me. Do you have others-especially the front end of a 73 Super?

Bradford in heavenly Houston

Quote 0 0

Treeman (and the group)

Here's a site you might like to bookmark, it has exploded views of just about every part in the VW, and in most of the variations, like stale air/fresh air heaters and such.

http://www.oldbeetle.net/pcat/epc.html

Re the grinding noise, take a close look at the six small bolts which hold the CV joints to both the gearbox and the stub axle assembly - these can loosen.  They use a 12 point spline driver - DON'T try to use an allen key or a Torx drive or you'll strip the heads and never be able to get them off.  Torque to 25ftlbs (that's quite a lot on those small bolts).

The CV joints should be greased with Moly grease (Castrol LMM for example).  The actual wheel bearings in the brake hub assembly - two joints in each side - are greased with normal Lithium bearing grease (Castrol LM or AXPT for example). 

For info, Moly grease is always very black and very sticky, and it's sometimes called EP (extreme pressure) grease - look for the ingredient "contains 3% molybenum sulphide" or similar. 

Lithium wheel bearing grease can be any colour depending on the brand (Castrol LM is light brown, and Castrol AXPT is dark blue for example).

Make sure the axle nut is tightened to the correct 217ftlbs too (NEVER run it even slightly loose) - it holds the complete stack of spacers and wheel bearings together inside the brake hub assembly - there is no adjustment for play here. 

If you disassembly the wheel bearing assembly for regreasing it's absolutely vital that the two fat ring spacers are placed in the correct orientation - they are "one sided".  The long tube spacer between the bearings can go in either way - it's a plain tube.  There is an article on my site (below) describing the regreasing of both the wheel bearings and the CV joints on the IRS cars - just search for "CV" or "wheel bearing" and you'll find it.

Regreasing should be about every 30,000km or every five years, for both the wheel bearings and the CV joints.  They will last a LONG time it cared for properly.

Regards

Rob

http://www.vw-resource.com

Quote 0 0