staticattic
Hey everybody, I am back from Iraq, been back for about a month now, but I have just been so busy, I have had very little computer time. Anyway, I finally got my "barn bug" home. She is sitting pretty in my driveway. She is about to go under the knife. I have decided to convert her to a Baja. She will not be a "trailer queen", but she will be a "street princess". No plans of doing any off roading with her, just want her to sport that look. Anyway, check out the pictures of her in NC covered with snow and looking sad and the newer pictures of her in sunny Florida! The other pictures are me in Baghdad. One is a pic of the first VW I saw, a pic of me throwing VW "gang signs" in one of Saddam's palaces, and the other is me sitting on one of Saddam's thrones.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
BugMan

Sweet find.  If it were me though, I'd wash it, get it "Road Worthy," and drive it.  Looks very good the way it is, but to each their own right??  Good luck with the project bro, and WELCOME HOME!!!!

Quote 0 0
staticattic
I am still reading books about the process of making a Bug a Baja. I just found out I am going to Afghanistan this week for 6 to 8 weeks. That should give me plenty of time to decide what I want to do. I really want a Baja, so I am really considering  it. Sort of like eating a hamburger I suppose. I love hamburgers, but when I think about the process involved in making them, they are not so appetizing. I love the look of Bajas, but when I think about having to cut up a perfectly good Bug, I start having second thoughts.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
flash

I hate to see these great cars chopped up into bajas.  I vote for keeping 'er Volkswagen Bug all the way.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
desiree71SB
I understand what you mean. There's a dude a few blocks from my house with a '74 SB in his driveway that he is going to chop up.  
I was driving back from Albuquerque yesterday and saw a bug out in a field, front hood up, no glass, rusty...... made me sad
Desiree
http://www.myspace.com/sonnyreign
http://desiree1914.wordpress.com/
Quote 0 0
flash

Yeah, If you want to drive off road get a jeep or something. 

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
ryen74
I am not one to say what you should do because Alvin is not really all that stock. But, your bug seems clean enough to keep original. If it were beat up and the interior was completely shot, I would say do it. Then again it is yours so do what you want and forget what I said. I have seen many out in desert fields abandoned and usually have the engine bay cut out. I hope to keep mine long enough to give to one of my kids as a first car. Mind you all I am 23.
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am supposed to leave for Afghanistan tomorrow for a few weeks, so I have been going over her to see what she needs. The door panels were shot so I took them off yesterday. She still has original VW doors, I am assuming they are both hers. Her fenders are original VW fenders as well, nice and thick. The only real "body" problem, it looks like someone walked up the hood and walked around on the roof. I am still leaning towards the Baja look though. If I make her Baja, she will definitely be a street Baja, as in no off roading. I really love the look of Baja bugs, but since she is so complete, I am thinking of making my '72 a Baja and just restoring the '68.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
ryen74
Hey, it's your call dude.
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Been awhile since I have been on the internet. Last night I crossed the point of no return. I bought a Sawzall from Home Depot and cut the back of the bug off. The rear end has been mocked up for a Baja, complete with fenders and the vent wing thing that goes under the window. All I need to do now is cut the front and drill and install the front pieces. I have lots and lots of pictures of the process up to this point. I'll post them when I get the chance. Once the entire mock up is done, she will be ready for painting. Hopefully by the end of this summer, she will be on the road.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
ryen74
Are you replacing the rear with a VW van rear like the original bajas?
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
Drifty
WELCOME HOME BROTHER ************
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0