jmlloar

Has anyone tried using the larger type 4 oil cooler? Looks identical except it has 2 more cores. I was thinking of modifying the doghouse to clear the larger cooler to increase cooling. Looks like all I need is longer studs and to widen the outside part of the doghouse to clear. It matches up exactly except for the part that sticks outside of the box already on the type 1 cooler. So I should only have to modify the small duct on the front of the doghouse.

Quote 0 0
jmlloar
If my math is correct it looks like a 40% increase in cooler surface area.

Bolt pattern is identical. So is seal placement.

I'll post pics of both side by side, And with installed.

Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
I know several people who tried this and were not impressed with the results. Your mileage may vary
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
jmlloar
I got a real good deal on the NOS cooler, so figured ited be worth a try.

Or guess you could say "couldnt hurt"
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I tossed the idea around for the 1915 that I'm building for my '63. After a lot of homework seems that most folks wished they hadn't went through all the work involved for the little to no improvement it brought.
Basically put your adding more space that needs cooled ie:the larger cooler, but not improving or increasing airflow over said area. That's how I interpreted it. Definitely would like to see pics and your thoughts when you've finished the conversion. Good luck!

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Like Steve said, more SA would be fine if there was more airflow over it.  I went with an external cooler.  Cost is a little more when you consider lines, t-stats and so on, but it really, really works.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
jmlloar
I will be increasing air flow by enlarging the duct the cooler sets in.  As far as the work I don't think it will take that long or much. And it has to help some. And I only gave $30 for the brand new cooler shipped. so other than the time and the $30 bucks that's it.

If you had to pay the almost $200 bucks for the type 4 cooler they are asking retail, it might not be worth it but then again even a few degrees has to be beneficial to oil life. So it has to help at very least a little.

Just thought I'd document it as I go with pics and if you want to do it you can work on what I've done, copy it or change my idea or don't use it at all.  
Quote 0 0
Ryan
You're not actually increasing airflow because you're not changing the flow dynamics inside the shroud.  All you're doing is flowing the same amount of air over a larger SA.  By time involved I mean this.  If I were to do the mod, I'd hack the shroud and seam weld the new housing on, refinish and paint.  That's a lengthy procedure.  The external cooler I ran, including time to make lines and run electrical for the fan, took about 4 hours total.  Most of that time was spent fabbing mounts for under the parcel tray.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
jmlloar
Ok so took the advice and stuck with the factory one. Should have no problem getting rid of the stock type 4 one.

Just anxious to get my car running again.
Quote 0 0