kappa7099
Hi All,

I saw this great deal in JC Whitney on heat exchangers, hoses, and hardware for $179 http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=0&statenval=0&shopid=100006&productId=2010729&pageid=12&errorView=Y&selectedmmy=200014371+1975&_requestid=918799

When I enterd the year of my car (1975), the website said they don't have heat exchangers past 1974 because in 1975 the Super Beetle became fuel injected.

Here's my question: My 1975 Super was converted from fuel injection to carbuerator, so would that mean these heat exchangers for a 1974 would actually fit my car? 

Thanks!!!

Quote 0 0
olspeed
First do you still have the FI exhaust? If you have carb heat(the little tubes that run from the back two exhaust ports 4 &2 up under the intake manifold) I would bet that you don't. The FI exhaust was set up to run the exhaust from 4 & 2 under the head back up to the front of the engine. from there it joins with the exhaust from 1 & 3 (on each respective side 1&2-3&4) and travels through the heat exchangers back to the rear of the car. It then goes in to the muffler (or cat first on CA cars) and on out the back through a single exhaust. There is NO way to put a header system on this exhaust. Sorry I don't have pictures or drawings but I think this description should give you an idea. So if you don't have what I have described above then I think what was pictured in the ad would work for you.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
kappa7099
In reply to the previous post, the exhaust that was there previously was the dual piped pee shooter with rusted heater boxes which I removed because they rusted out and put in J-pipes and a dual muffler that sits under the skirt with just one tube on each side poking out, if that helps.

Does that mean I can use the JC Whitney package for a 1974?  I am starting to think yes.  The car didn't have the single piped exhaust.

D
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Yup! If you had the stock muffler with the dual pee shooters (has connections on it for the carb heat coming off the back two cylinders) even if you changed it to a header and j-tubes you should be alright. Only thing that I see from the ad is that they show flanges on the end that connects to the header(best set up) if you don't have flanges on the header there now you will have to put some on or get boxs thatg use the stock slip fit.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
kappa7099

This is very, very helpful.  I am freezing my but off in southern New Mexico with no heat.  I bought the car in Florida and I removed the rusted heater boxes because they didn;t work and I didn't need heat.  I never thought i would be living out west.  Anyway, i did have the stock muffler set up for a carburated bug and not the single tip muffler for a fuel injected bug, therfore i will buy the kit (keep the receipt!) and log in in a couple of months with a follow up if anyone is interested.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
 Freezing your but off in southern New Mexico with no heat?! Wow... it was a balmy -35f yesterday where I am at, but it's warmed up to a truly sweltering +20f today  In fact I am just getting ready to get the sled out for a little spin before I come back and plow.(we got close to 12" today) Here's to you staying warm
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
kafertoys

LOL Old speed I feel for you, I remember when I had to wrap my arm around to the windshield to scrap ice that formed on it every 20 sec when it hit the negitive temps.

saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
olspeed
 I use to have that problem too, but now my answer to that is... Think GAS HEATER... BIG ONE military style. The one in my Bug puts out 24000BTU's on high and will burn about 1 gallon of gas in about 6hrs. Low is 11000BTU's same as what the stock Bug (Eberspacher or Stewart Warner) puts out on high.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0