justin6921

Hello everyone, I am having some issues with my 74 super.  After buying all new taillight and all new bulbs the dang turn signals do not work.  The right side will work when it wants to, but the left not at all.  It's same deal with the front and the back.  Also, I was messing with it yesterday and notice when I had the right signal on it was blinking for a second then stopped and started again, and then blew the #2 fuse.  Any ideas before I pay out the rear to have this looked at?? thanks

justin mauldin
Quote 0 0
justin6921

One more thing I failed to mention is that the emergency flashers don't work either.  the flasher button doesn't even light up, plus there is a brown wire with a connector on the end just hangin near the fusebox, where does this go, maybe all these things are connected somehow.

justin mauldin
Quote 0 0
ljohn
Brown wire is your ground , Suggest you connect to a good ground...may fix your signal problem...........LJ

PS. there probably will be a male connector within reach of the brown wire that connects to the chassis of the car take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the ends slightly so as to get a tight fight when reconnected ...let us know what the out come is..
LJohn
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Yes

it does sound like a ground [earth] problem...
especially when they work sometimes...
loose connection??

that wire may fix all the problems...

blowing the fuse seems strange...
unless that brown wire touched the fuse wires...

cheers

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
justin6921

Thanks for all the helpful info.  However, it ended up being the relay that is bad.  I still have no clue what the brown wire is for but grounded it anyways.  The wiring for these things is just unbelievable.  My signal flasher on the dash do not work, but at least the actual turn signals work now.

justin mauldin
Quote 0 0
justin6921

Well, I thought everything worked.  Now were back to blowing #2 fuse again.  When I turn on the headlights sure enough 5 seconds later the fuse goes.  I am going to look over it one more time tomorrow, then to the shop we go.

justin mauldin
Quote 0 0
BugMan

Check to make sure your bulbs are connected properly.  A friend of mine is working on a 59 and started blowing a fuse for the signals, then just not working signals.  Turns out, the connection that gives the bulb it's power in the socket was grounding out.  Small flathead fixed that problem.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
When I switched fenders on my 74 I had problems with my turn signals doing the same thing. Turns out I accidently switched one of the wires around (ground) and it was grounding out on the fender. It would work sporadically and then blow the fuse. May be worth a look. I swore up and down everything was fine and I had put it back together correctly. My wife actually kept telling me to check the wires but of course I wouldn't. After all what does she know?!?
Well, we know how that ended.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes,
its probably a bad connection [loose] or shorting out to ground...

take the blinker units off the fender and see if they work..

Would You believe My RHS rear blinker isn't working at the moment...
it does work occasionally...
so I'll be looking for a loose connection too...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0