sector51
I was fooling around with my speedometer trying to get it to work, but after i gave up and put it back in...my turn signals werent working anymore. Do you guys know whats wrong? all the fuses are good.
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
any number of small things could have gone wrong in your turn signal circuit. Trouble shooting is a lot easier if you have a multimeter. What year is your beetle? this way i can take a look at the wiring diagram in my service manual. have you tried turning on your emergency flashers?
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
1969 Manual Beetle stock daily driver
Quote 0 0
sector51
its a 73 super beetle like what i said in my signature
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Beetles became too complicated when they changed from a flat dash....
Sorry, I can't help... and the new type of circuit diagrams are hard to decipher too...
probably just a wire off something..

Lee --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
I'm at work now, so I don't have my books with me. From what I saw last night, there're two hot wires that energize your turn signal light, the actual turn signal circuit and the emergency flasher circuit. So if your light comes on when you turn on your flasher, then your problem lies in the circuit between your turn signal and the Y-adapter. If not, then try and see if you can find the Y adapter (it should be a small clear/amber plastic rectangular box with two wires coming in (according to the diagram, green and black striped) and one coming out (solid blue). You ought to be able to pull out the two green wires. It should look something like Y_Adapter.jpg. From what I've seen the single wire is the one that is usually locked in to the Y-adapter. If you have a meter or a test light, check for voltage (if at all possible, you might have to run leads from the inside of your car out your driver window and into your trunk. Also, you might have to take your steering column apart again. I've never taken mine apart so I don't know where terminals for the turn signals and all that are at). Anyhow, you'll want to make a parallel circuit with your meter or test light so that your circuit would look something like quick_circuit.jpg. Once your connections are made, then you have to turn the turn signal on to get volatge in the circuit. From the turn signal to the turn signal relay, you should have a continuous 6 or 12 VDC (like I said, I don't have my diagram in front of me) so yeah, check that one wire as shown, and if that's good, check the blue wire in the same fashion. If that checks fine, you only have your relay, the ground wire, the hot wire to energize the relay, the last wire (I think red and blue) from the relay to the bulb, and the bulb. Check your ground wire coming out of the back of your relay for continuity (for this check, you can't use a light meter here, you'll need an ohmmeter to check for good continuity between the terminal and ground (any clean metal on the car. DO NOT APPLY POWER TO THE CAR! You have a very good chance of busting your meter this way). If the ground wire checks good, the hot wire from the back of the relay should be a pulsating 6-12 VDC, because the relay is turning on and off. I just thought of this, but another thing you'd want to check for is if the relay is clicking on and off. That'd be a good indicator as to whether or not your relay is working and/or receiving power to work properly. If it's not, it's no biggie. Once you've checked the ground wire and the hot wire leading to your light (and of course, check your bulb) then you're down to two possible problems: power to energize the relay (I can't remember what color that wire is) or a shot relay. I've done up a diagram of a relay so that you or anyone else can get a good idea of what to look for in a shot relay. The timing circuit turns on and off and what happens in there is "FM" to me. When the timing circuit turns on and off, it closes and opens the contacts to the light circuit, making it seem like the light is turning on and off and that's what that clicking is, the relay opening and shutting. The ground circuit might be a little different, but I just drew it as simple as I could.
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
Quote 0 0
sector51
if any wires disconnected around the speedometer..would it affect the turn signals?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
If your wires are still stock, then I can bump the color of the wire to the diagram.
Quote 0 0
sector51
yeah they are stock. if you can please.
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
sector51
nevermind i fixed it
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0