sector51
can someone tell me how to tune up my bug? i have a 2213cc gene berg engine in my car. I need to know what kind of tools I need and instructions how to tune up my bug. I need to know how to do a valve adjustment, timing, and anything else you think is necessary.
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
Wayne
A complete tuneup would consist of spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, points, condenser, air filter and a gas filter (if installed). Changing the cap, rotor and wires are easy. Remove the cap with wires attached and change them one at a time with the new ones (measure the length to make sure you're putting them in the right place). Make sure you mark each wire so you know where they go when you put the cap back on. Pull off the rotor (it might have a screw) and slide the new one on the shaft, it can only go one way. Get a standard spark plug socket and change the plugs. Put a little motor oil on the threads and set the gap to .024 before installing.

And now for the tricky stuff,

Changing the points and condenser is covered in Tech Talk with Rick.

Or better yet change your ignition for an electronic version and never change points and condenser again.

Click here for Rick's article on valve adjustment.

Good luck!
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I wouldn't put motor oil on the threads because then it just gets hot and the threads get carbon deposits all on them and really just make it harder to get out. I have done it in the past and didn't like it, I also tried ant-sieze and didn't like it. Now I just put them in and torque them to spec. I like it.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Also, I would use some dielectric grease on the wire ends and the inside and out of the distributor cap. It is good for keeping corosion off the battery too. My friends give me crud and call it my secret sauce b/c I use it when ever I can, but it keeps things from getting corroded and nasty.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0