NYer_in_MI
Eureka and hallelujah!  We had a beautiful past couple of days, here in Michigan, so I was able to tend to a few of the tasks that I needed to handle for Gunter.
 
1.  Installed a "new" glove box liner / remote trunk release cable.  Scavenged it off of the 1976 Standard that I bought for parts, last autumn.  Fortunately, 1302's have as much in common with Standard Beetles as they do with Supers, so the liner was an exact match!  As the '76 had never really been driven (only 37k miles on that car), most everything that I've scavenged off of it for Gunter has been like brand new!  Had some struggle with the trunk release cable, as I had accidentally snapped off a small length of it from the business end (that which connects to the hood latch itself), but I managed to bodge the thing together correctly anyway.  Had to slightly modify my behind-the-dash electrical cover to compensate for the shorter trunk cable, but this is only a temporary condition.  Eventually, I will replace the cable too with one of the appropriate length.
 
2. I figured out the problems with my fuel gage and speedometer!
 
A.  After a long time sussing out the tangle of wiring behind my dash, I ran across one that I had no explanation for which was disconnected.  Upon tracing the wire to its origin, noting the crook to the wire's curvature and also noting its length, I surmised that it might go to the fuel gage.  Using a shop light to peer as far under the dash as I could, I did find a bare terminal where the fuel gage is located at the top of the speedo.  Hoping that my somewhat educated guess was correct (I have been pouring over electrical diagrams etc in repair manuals for months), I plugged the wire onto the bare fuel gage terminal.  Crossing my fingers, I got in the car and switched the ignition key to "Auxiliary".  I'll be damned if the fuel gage needle didn't promptly respond and stop at the half way mark!  Before, it had done nothing or, at times, very little.  Now, it functions as it should (even after several tries to make sure that the needle responds in the identical manner each time)!  Hurrah!
 
B.  Before I'd ever driven Gunter around, or had even taken him to work, I had taken him for a full break job... line replacement, brake hardware replacement, brake cylinder replacement... the works... along with the requisite oil change, valve job and tune up.  I had noted, when I'd driven the car home from Kingston, MI, where I'd purchased it from a private owner, that the speedo didn't work.  As long as the guy doing my brakes, etc, was going to have my wheels off, could he look at this matter as well?  He eventually told me, when the brakes were done, that the speedo was hooked up at the wheel, so perhaps there was a break somewhere in the cable (common enough problem).  Not too long after all of this, the winter snows fell and I'd had no chance on my own to inspect the car and to see for myself the condition of the cable.  Tonight, on a hunch, I removed the hubcap on the front driver's side to check things out for myself.  Just as I thought!  The cable was not even through the center cap where the square opening should have the cable held fast with a cotter pin!  It was, in all likelihood, somewhere up inside the tube that it feeds into!  If nothing else, I had discovered that, in fact, the cable was not connected to the wheel as the guy had said.  Eureka!
 
New cartoon, guys.  Hope you like!
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
nak45z
i am glad you got a lot of stuff done.  i hope you got to drive your bug around town with your good weather.....

mie
Quote 0 0
flash
Way to go! One project at a time and soon you'll have things the way you want them.
 
Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Wayne

Don't rush things. Once I got everything done on my Bug I felt kind of sad that there was nothing left to do

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
A few quickies of Gunter's glove box trade up, etc.  Note the lack of the unsightly trunk cable that had been threaded through the aperture where the gas flap release handle is supposed to be (red arrow).  Along with everything else, I gave Gunter's carpeting the first shampoo it's probably seen in 25 years, plus I tacked back up the corner of the kick panel carpet that was hanging sadly down on the passenger side (blue arrow).  Included are pics of Gunter's original glove box liner and the way the "new" one looks in place (owner's manual was added as a prop for the photo... actually belongs to a '67 production year VW, not a '72 1302).

Daniel
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0