ljohn

Looked a yet another bug tonight (think I need therapy) a 1978 SB Convertible but that is a different story, While checking this one out I moved the shifter and it was fairly tight compared to my 73SB, Is there a reconditioning kit I can install to help mine to be more precise in its shifting pattern....? If so where can I obtain one....

LJohn
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

Shifter & Shifter Parts - Volkswagen Parts / VW Parts & Accessories by Mid America Motorworks, 800-500-1500

Stock Shifter Kit - Volkswagen Parts / VW Parts & Accessories by Mid America Motorworks, 800-500-1500

Remember you can never have too many Volkswagens

Volkswagens are therapy!!!!

Quote 0 0
ljohn

Thanks ML,

I checked the coupler that seemed pretty good in the "Y" direction so do beleive it is the stick itself for the play in the "X" direction, So will order one and see.....Thanks

LJohn
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

Quite possibly the '78 you checked out had a quick shift kit in it.  I have never had one but will probably add one to my '74

Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes,

If there is a BIG difference, it can be a quick shift kit which are very inexpensive and fairly easy to fit...

[If You have had a shifter off before that is..]

I've never really heard of anyone wearing a shifter out, and if it was, it would be the reverse lock out plate that would wear out..

plus, the quick shift kit has a new top ball...

so if the reverse lock out plate is OK...

grease it up with some Lithium based Moly grease...

and you should'nt have any problems...

there is a small nylon/plastic bush just behind the gearlever...

this holds the gearlever shaft in position...

these are starting to wear out nowdays...

very inexpensive to buy...

pain to fit so I'm told...

I've seen people cut a hole in the tunnel to replace it...

Lee Noonan    68AutoBug   Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0