Hi. I'm looking to buy a 73 Super Beetle. Few problems though, the guy selling it wants $3,900. The body is in great condition, engine has 128,000 miles , but i've noticed a few engine troubles. First the intake manifold is rusted and leaking slightly, but my real question is about the transmission. The fluid in the transmission resevior is a cocoa brown, a friend told me this may be a sign of a transmission problem, but wasn't sure. Anyone know for sure? It may be something to use to talk down the price of the car. Thanks alot!
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I'm not sure your looking at transmission fluid. There isn't a reservoir that I know of. You actually have to get under the car to check it. I'm guessing you were probably looking at brake fluid. That is the only reservoir that you should have. Most brake fluid starts life clear, and then gets dirty from there. If it's really brown then you probably still have something to bargain with for the price the guy's asking. $3900's kinda high sounding unless it's in really good shape and doesn't need anything major done to it.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan

If what you're talking about is in fact the brake fluid, for it to be brown up in the resevoir is a bad sign.  It's not exposed to anything up there, so for it to be discolored means it's been there for quite some time.  A complete brake overhaul would be a safe assumption, and I mean complete, everything but the pedal assembly.  Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it freely absorbs moisture from the air, that leads to internal rust throughout the system.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
The resevoir i was looking at was located in the right wall of the engine compartment. If this is the break fluid, how much money and work would redoing the brakes be. I was told the car had new brakes, if that's so is this something that would have been ignored in the process? Also, how much would this lower the cars value. I'd like to get a $1000 knocked off. Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Ryan

No part of the brake system is in the engine compartment, something different then.  I'm not familiar with Autosticks, but it sounds like that's what this car is.  Personally, I would not buy one, but that's me.  Parts can be hard to come by and expensive in some cases.  It doesn't tolerate much at all in the performance aspect, and I just plain like manuals.  I certainly would not pay what he's asking.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

TIL,

Don't buy that bug for that much you are getting ripped off if you do. that bug is not worth that at all. Consider this. If that res is in the trunk in the front of the car and not the engine compartment then that is the brakes.. If there is a res there in the engine compartment would this not be a auto shift tranny? Do not buy the car, hold on to your cash and get one that is 90 percent restored with a previous overhaul and you can get that for 2900 if you have the cash. Look around on ebay and thesamba.com before you buy that peice.. It isn't worth it, I am sure that it is not a rare breed of some kind, you just can't find them on the side of the road for that.. lol NOt all the time anyway..

Aaron

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
s0cks

You shouldn't jump all over the chap when he asks a question. If you feel that adamently about not buying that particular car, then put it in a nice way. Now, I understand about the web not conveying emotion or tone. I just read it, and it sounded pretty harsh.

Now, onto the next bit. I'd love to tell you that this is an absolute steal, but it isn't. I got my car for 400 bucks. He backed it off to 300 after I baught it, for some odd reason. That was with a clean title. Granted, it had sit for 8 months, and granted, the motor isn't running yet, and granted, the front is smashed to pieces, and granted, the floorboards on the driver side is gone. I think you should buy one that is mechanically sound, but needs body work. It is alot cheaper.

73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Ok, hypothetical situation: Let's say I manage to talk him down $1000 or so, based on this information, the amount of miles (128K), rusty bumpers, need new window seals, lack of original steering wheel, engine work, over all value, etc.,  Would the car then be worth it? The body on this baby is beautiful... and I'd rather do engine work than body work, since i have no experience with body work.

So what's the concensus on the brown fluid. This car is an autostick, and the resevoir is located in the back to the right of the engine. A friend who looked at it told me transmission, i'm going to check the muir book out anyway. If it is transmission, is this a serious problem? and how much work/time/money will be needed to fix it?

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

I agree about doing the engine work instead of body, thats how i bought mine, and it was 2900, and it needed an interior, and engine work, and little things all around the car. It think it is worth it...

As per the tranny, i would have a pro. vw shop look at it and check the tranny, the autostick vw's are expensive to fix (from what i hear) and as with any auto's they are much more prone to problems...

If all is clear, and you like the car, i would go for it, especially depending what area you live in, the east coast has few and therefore they are more expensive.

Good Luck,

Chris

Quote 0 0
s0cks

3900 for a car that is that rough it a bit too steep. But keep your head up and your eyes open. You'll find the right car at the right price. Be realistic, but a 3900 dollar car.... thats more than my sister paid for her almost mint 68. There is a story to that, but that shall be for a later time and date.

73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
73superman

ROFL  

s0cks wrote:

You shouldn't jump all over the chap when he asks a question. If you feel that adamently about not buying that particular car, then put it in a nice way. Now, I understand about the web not conveying emotion or tone. I just read it, and it sounded pretty harsh.

Now, onto the next bit. I'd love to tell you that this is an absolute steal, but it isn't. I got my car for 400 bucks. He backed it off to 300 after I baught it, for some odd reason. That was with a clean title. Granted, it had sit for 8 months, and granted, the motor isn't running yet, and granted, the front is smashed to pieces, and granted, the floorboards on the driver side is gone. I think you should buy one that is mechanically sound, but needs body work. It is alot cheaper.

1973 Superbeetle (California Edition)
Personally-built 1600cc Aluminum DP
Pertronix Ignitor EI and Flamethrower Coil
Taylor Hi-Perf plug wires
Billet oil filler
Urethane suspension bushings
Stainless Braided brake lines
Color-matched brake drums
Quote 0 0