pa_trick
While my engine is out, I am thinking of cleaning up the transmission and  possibly replacing the CV Joint boots. there seems to be a fair bit of leakage on the sides under the boots. Does this sound normal?

What is IRS? in looking at parts That acronym keeps coming up. How do I know if my unit is and IRS beetle or not? It is a 71 Super.

Patrick
------------(0\ /0)-------------
74 Super Sun Bug (the partner's)
71 Super Cal Looker (mine)
the "Shade tree mech" for both...
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
First off IRS= Independent Rear Suspension
If you have a super with CV joints then you have I.R.S.
I ran into the same with mine while the engine was out, I found that the inner seal/cap had gotten a hole in it and the gear oil was mixing with the CV joint grease. Hench thinning it out and basically ruining the CV joint.
I opted to just replace both sides, axles and all as a complete unit.
Cost:
(2) Complete Axles with grease (Save your old bolts and bridge plates) $259.90
(2) Urethane CV Flange Seals $6.99
Time, about 2 hours.

Also a great time to take a look at the trans mounts.
"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
What sleepwalker said. Theother type of transmission you'd see would be a swingaxle, up to '68 model bugs. Everyone got IRS after that. (In the states, Europe may be a little different, I can't ever keep it straight.) A swingaxle would have solid axle tubes with a pivot point and boots only at the trans side, instead of having a CV half shaft on each side.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Ouch $259.90 for axles when the boots are bad. I know that you have to figure your time in there too but... Last time I purchased replacement boots with lube, I bought 8 because they were only $12.00 each.(this was quite a few years ago now but they can't have gone up that much). I'm thinking that 1/2 hr per axle extra and some solvent... unless the joints themselves are shot, I would do the work.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker

Yeah it hurt a bit, but both inner CV's were shot and it felt like sand in them when you tried to swivel the outers. I figured the joints with boots ran around $50 a piece, so for the extra $60 might as well replace it all while I was at it.

If it had been only the boots, yeah $20 a pop would have been easier on the wallet.
"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Just another note here Cip1 has the boot and grease kit for $9.00 each (cheaper than when I bought them) But I don't blame you Sleepwalker if it were both the joints and the boots then I would probably go with the complete assembly.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
olspeed wrote:
Just another note here Cip1 has the boot and grease kit for $9.00 each (cheaper than when I bought them) But I don't blame you Sleepwalker if it were both the joints and the boots then I would probably go with the complete assembly.
Olspeed

Those are the Chinese ones. They fail unpredictably and often. Get the German ones, pay more, and be happier longer.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalifeaten
Those are the Chinese ones. They fail unpredictably and often. Get the German ones, pay more, and be happier longer.

That is good to know I still have 4 of the old ones I bought through Federal Mougul back in the early 90's. I have no idea who made them but the ones on the car(my 76 Bug) are still going strong.
Olspeed 

Quote 0 0
pa_trick
Correct me if I am wrong, but are all the IRS transaxels after 1969 the same then? Are they the same for Std and Supers Beetles too?
Patrick
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Basically yes... and no. VW was always improving their design sooo a 69 and a 78 are different but yes they are the same.To give you an idea the old 69 baja I had, had a four bolt plate to bolt the pinion bearing in place. A friend of mine had a 72 SB the tranny had a pinion bearing that was threaded and a round nut holds that in place. This would be what is used in later trannys. I think in 74 they started to use a single side plate case, the plate that holds the carrier for the ring gear. The really late trannys had a different front mount(like my 76) and a taller gear(ring and pinion) I think it is a 3.88 ratio. In my 66 ghia we took a 78 trans and tore it down and switched the gear cluster and pinion to a double side case  with the round pinion nut set up. we then took the ring gear carrier from a late 68 model swing axle and mounted the ring gear from the late model to it (had to re drill the locating hole for the dowel) we then reset the clearances on the gear stack,and the ring and pinion and put it together and now it is in my Ghia. Please note you need special tools and jigs to do this kind of work. But as you can see pretty much most all later bug trannys are the same.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
pa_trick
Thanks, that answers part of my question. the other part is which years of IRS trans interchangeable. Will a 72 std fit a 71 super... that kind of question.
Patrick
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Well yea it will interchange if the front tranny mount is different(which for those two years I don't think it will be) just change the nose cone. The part that the shift rod comes out of.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0