dbsoccer51
First post. Getting back into bugs now that the girls are off to college. I'm looking at a couple of builder supers - 73 or 74. No engine but I have an engine that I started pre-kids. The seller knows nothing about the trans axles and without an engine (mine's still in pieces) the tranny is hard to test. So let's say the tranny is shot - what could I expect to pay for a rebuilt one or to have someone go through mine? No exact answer is possible on the second question but I'd expect some problems are more common than others. I read somewhere on this forum that a Berg transmission was a good one. Not sure what that is yet. If the tranny rebuild is $5000 then I may not want to chance not being able to test it. But if we are talking $200 then that may be more worth the risk.
Quote 0 0
bob
If you are in the US, you will probably have to send your transmission to Rancho Transmissions, look up ranchotransaxles.com, the more information you have the better off you will be, like is your transmission a swing axle or IRS? Is it a double side box or a single side box? If it is an original 73 Super Beetle is it a two or three hole nose cone? I have a 74 Super Beetle with a Rancho Rebuilt transmission 3 bolt nose cone, single side box with a 3:88 ring with added .082 fourth gear, I think it was $1100 dollars for the rebuild, you have to send it in and there is a 3 week wait. The .082 fourth gear lowers the RPM a little when driving on the highway at 70 mph. But they also have a 3:44 ring gear that will get better gas mileage, just ask when you call.

Bob
Quote 0 0
dbsoccer51
Thanks Bob. I went to their web site and found that they sell a rebuild for $700. 
Quote 0 0