I must be crazy... I am building an electric car and figured since I used to race VW's in the early 90's, it would be an ideal car. I bought a 73 Super off of Ebay and still cant believe how rusted this car is. The fact it was on the road in 2006 scares the **** out of me. Anyway, I have never had a Super, just regular beetles but liked the fact the Super has the struts on the front. I am quite proficient in metal body work but this project has me scared. I have already picked up both floor pans, both full heater channels, both rear quarters and have seperated the body and chassis last weekend. I have questioned my sanity for buying this car and even more so for believing that I can fix it.

Questions for all:
1. Anyone have a good body already that will fit and they will sell or trade for work
2. Anyone know if the lower INTERIOR rear quarter section is available?(its the part that attaches to the heater channel inside the car under the rear seat. It is not part of the quarter panel that I have.
3. Should I part what is left and try again???

I will post pictures of what is left at some point when I am back in town...if nothing else to show people how bad it can be and still look great (from 20 ft)

I really want to get on with the electric motor part of the project.

Mike
Quote 0 0
ljohn
If I'm correct the part under the seat is the Cross member and are available or its part of the Rear Cargo Panel......This is from Mid America Motorworks

Part Model/Year Description Price Availability  
306-010Super: 1971-79Rear Cross Member (1)$59.99Click Here

301-219Super: 1971-77Shelf, Luggage Compartment, complete, Sedan$199.99

I also have a rusted 73Super and contemplating fixing or scrapping......Not much demand for VW parts in the Northeast so I would probably be sitting on this for quit some time if I was topart out and it is not cost effective to ship large parts on my part so as you what to do.......?

LJohn
Quote 0 0
John,
thanks for the link but I dont believe that is the part in question. That part looks like the rear of the floor pan whereas the part I need is inside directly below the quarter window but at the floor level to join the heater channel. Is it still that part?

Mike
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Mike, Here are a couple of pictures the first one where the red handle is on top of the rear quarter structure frame (lack of better word) have not seen this for sale anywhere may be able to obtain from a parts car or fab what you need, The second is the part of the heater channel which you are replacing so you already have it.....And where the perferated hose next to the battery is going thru the crossmember......Hope this helps...Good Luck..... LJohn

LJohn
Quote 0 0
John,

You nailed it in the first photo. That is the part that i think is going to be difficult, not that the rest is easy mind you. I have not seen it listed anywhere and is not part of the quarter panel that I have. I am completely crazy, eh??

Mike
Quote 0 0
ljohn

You need donor part or fab it...

LJohn
Quote 0 0
ljohn
Mike, So what was the decison on the 73S scrap or fix..........?
        If you are fixing any luck on doner parts...?
LJohn
Quote 0 0