Gouie
Hi guys.
Well, the beetle arrived yesterday afternoon and all I can say is wow! I'll post pics as soon as I can. In the meantime, I've got a couple of questions.

I've read all there is to read in regards to the heater boxes. I'm wondering what amount of air should flow through the defrost vents? I know that this is the weakness but I'm looking for some sort of benchmark to compare to. When pushing the heat to the rear ports it heats up in a hurry but I'm not feeling a whole lot of air flow through the defrost vents.

It came with the BN2 gas heater. The electronics work fine and there are fuel lines running from the gas tank as well as electronics (presumably for the glow plug) but they are not attached to the heater. Does anyone have a manual for hooking this portion of the assembly up? I have seen instructions on actual installation including where to drill the wholes but nothing on the specifics of the gas lines.

As always guys, your input is appreciated.
Quote 0 0
javajuice

Don't know nothin bout no gas heater But in my SB the heat is something stronger than a draft. I've ditched my heater boxes since it made little difference. There are kits you can by to increase the velocity of the air. They are little fans you put in the ducts near the heater boxes so maybe they may work with your gas heater setup that I am completely ignorant of.

formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
Gouie
Have you a link to these "kits"?
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

The heat exchangers, or heater "boxes" are actually integral to the engine's system for drawing heat away from the engine... taking in cool air and expelling the heated air... thus "air-cooled", right?  It's the advice of experts like Jake Raby, etc, to not only leave the heat exchangers intact, but to not block / remove / etc any part of the system that carries heat away from the engine.

NoH20, however, had a neat little system in his Super (I say "had" as the car has since been sold) that possessed a neat little after-market set of electric fans installed into the rear seat heat channel area.  These draw the heated air into the cabin faster than what occurs with the engine fan, bringing more heated air into the passenger area when switched on and even improving defrosting of the windshield.

Mid-America Motor Works sells similar electric fans, originally installed in VW Vans / Transporters etc to better draw the hot air into the front of the large vehicle.  Research the matter and check it out.  There have been, too, various threads on this site involving ways to improve the anemic heating system of the vintage VW's.  Do research before taking anything off of the car or doing modifications.  The heater boxes are an integral part of your car's cooling system.  Depending upon the climate where you live, being without them will cause the engine to run hotter, creating possible problems in future.  It saves a lot of headache in the long run to get many sources of info before acting.  Good luck and congrats!

Good luck!

Daniel

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

P.S.

The gas heaters are a nice accessory to round out a vintage VW, collector-wise, but this is a piece of equipment that was eventually cancelled as an option for Volkswagens due to their somewhat dangerous nature.  Best to find ways to rely on the engine heat, but keep the gas heater to make your car "stock vintage" and, thus, worth more as a collector.  This, in my opinion, is the only real function of a VW's gas heater... adding to the car's value.  I wouldn't use it.

Daniel

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0