hurley209

hey guys, i have a problem, my left tail light is dim, and the right isnt.
i tried grounding the dim light, and it works, it gets bright, but it also turns off my right tail light..,
so how can i get these to both be bright?
i tried grounding them both differently, and grounding them both from the same source.. but nothing.. any ideas?

Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
its a bit late at night here to be thinking.. {australia]

but firstly try out Your brake lamps
see if they work . or one goes out...
check the bulbs - check neither is burnt out .
and they are inserted the correct way..

I'm sure its probably a Grounding problem...
in old fords its a problem with the grounding wires coming off
their tabs... plus the ground connection getting rusted and losing contact..
I always ground My lights seperately - place a wire from the screw that holds the tail lamp on to inside the engine bay
and attach it to a good ground connection..
or drill a hole in the body and place the wire under the head of the screw...

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
71beetle

Hi I'm wondering, did you do anything where you a cut and and reconnected the tail light wiring?  What happens when you step on the brakes are the tail lights the same?  If they are not normal, to me if it's not a grounding issue I'd check a cross wiring problem...if you did do some splicing then you might have tied the running light on one side to the brake light.  One way to check it is take a volt ohm meter and turn your lights, ground the black probe and take the red probe and check your voltage inside the socket and note the upper or lower contacts.  If normal then the voltage should be the same.  On my 71 I had a problem and it ended up being a flakey fuse, it looked fine but just would not let current through..

Quote 0 0
hurley209

i didnt mess with wirig, but il definately check th fuses.. great idea

Quote 0 0
68autobug

the Right hand tail lamp is using rhe LH tail lamp to ground it out...
check the stop lamps to see if one works...

with the tail lamps turned on...

if there is a bad fuse -- put Your finger on it and it should burn Your finger...
with the tail lamps turned off...
turn the fuse round a few times in their holder..
this will clean the fuse ends...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
hurley209

burn my finger?

Quote 0 0
71beetle
As current moves though a circuit there is a certain amount of heat generated, so the ideal is to have a thicker wire to handle more current, if a fuse even though good might not make a good connection to let all the current through, so it's forced to push it through the bad fuse connection and fuse which creates heat and can get hot enough to burn your finger. A good example of this would be when you keep trying to start your car and it won't start, after about the 5th or 6th time touch the red positive wire it will be hot....  Anything that has connections will generate heat like head ligit and heater switches etc.... 
Make sure both sides of the fuse holders are "clean metal", dirty metal will restrict current passing through and will create problems.... The fuse ends can become dirty also, so some people use sand paper to rough up the ends of the fuses and metal....
Quote 0 0
hurley209
i checked the fuse and cleaned up the area a bit..
i made a discovery, it keeps burning out, i just never noticed becouse the fuse wasnt facing outwards, when i replaced it, it burned out again.
so im guessing this is a short now.. any ideas of where this could be happening?
Quote 0 0
71beetle

1st. test, pull the burnt fuse out, turn your lights on and test the voltage with a volt/ohm meter and see if you have 12 volts on the hot side where the fuse would go in... it should be normal.  2nd test, take out the left side bulb out put the fuse in then turn your lights on and see if the fuse blows... 3rd test, put the bulb in, turn on the lights and does it blow again?  Let me know the results.

Quote 0 0
hurley209
you think you can tell me what to do in the 3 scenarios becouse il most likely be away from my pc when i check tommorow. please?
thanx a bunch by the way
Quote 0 0
71beetle
1. Dirty contcacts or short near the fuse holder.
2. Short between fuse and bulb socket.
3. Faulty and shorted bulb socket.
Quote 0 0