Well after 16 months of work, we finally got to drive our project, mostly a 72 super, with some 71.  The goal was to have it finished for my buddies wedding (right).  We went on our first test drive 24 hours before the ceremony and I finally left the garage to put on my tux (I was a groomsmen) 65 minutes before the ceremony.  Worked perfect for the day.  The major mods, were 4" chop at the B pillars, 4" lowering, small poly gas tank, big stereo.  Just wanted to share the excitment, FrankieD gave me some advice on my struts a while back http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/superbeetle/vpost?id=1186388

Here are some pics:

Lots more pics and info at the website:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~jjacobs/roofchop/roofchop2.htm

Peace,

JJ

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Great job on the chop! I love to see chopped Beetles at the VW shows. And I'm a HUGE fan of the Black Satin paint job!

Quote 0 0
staticattic

Personally, I am not a very big fan of chopped tops on Bugs. However, I am always amazed at the amount of engineering and fabrication involved in chopping a top. I have seen some pretty crappy chop jobs over the years, but yours my friend, looks smooth and seamless, like it rolled off the assembly line already chopped. Very well done.  You have an interesting web site too...  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0

Hey thanks for the nice words. I am happy how the chop turned out, the welds we did towards the end of the project required a lot less filler than the ones at the beginning. This is our second welding project, the first being the welding cart. Funny, I look at beetles now and they all look bubbly and happy, I am a fan of the chopped look (obviously), but there are many beetles I wouldn't build I think are nice.

Peace,

JJ

Quote 0 0
staticattic

I know what you mean about the "bubbly and happy" look. My first Bug, I tried to keep everything stock, then I went cliche and started putting Grateful Dead stickers on the windows along with swirly, tie dyed mushrooms and the likes. It sported the totally cliche hippy look. Now that I am older and wiser, well older anyway, I am trying to go for the "mean" look. Eventually, I would like to drop the front a few inches, go with a skulls and death motif for interior decorations, etc. Everything except chopping the top, of course.  Although I will have to admit, chopping the top  definitely does give the car a "mean" look. I also dig your bus shifter. I would like to put one in my ride and after watching your video, I feel like that is a task I could accomplish. The only problem, I have the cup holder that slides into the ash tray slot. I am afraid that would get in the way. I am going to have to find an alternative cup holder / cellphone holder solution. All of the things I have been through over the last year and a half of putting my car together, I wish I would have made videos. Only mine would have been titled, "Monster Garage - A Collection of Things Not To Do. If you are doing this to your car, it is wrong." I learned a lot with this car. I obviously made a lot of mistakes and I ended up having to buy some things two or three times. In fact, a lot of the items on my car, like the headliner, a person can easily tell I did it myself. But, she was my first and I am probably going to keep this car forever. My next one should go much faster, cost much less, and eat a lot less skin. Videos like yours are what keep the rookie mechanic like me going. One day, maybe I will have enough knowledge to share in a video format...  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Just want to chime in and give a quick update on my project after a summer of work.  We replaced the back three windows, readjusted the suspension, new wheels, replaced the soft top with a removable hard top, eye brows, flames, and currently we are working on getting a pair of 40mm kads in.  Here some pics and lots of pics, info and videos on our website.

a couple a club member took at the year end show...

Peace,
roofchop

Quote 0 0