A friend of mine gave me this assignment, search in the net "How to change a 1972 Super Beetle to Beetle".  He have a 1973 and 1972 Super Beetle and want to transform the 72 SupBee to Beetle, any advised please??? We are rookies with Beetles and we loved it!! Keep your good works, I like this site.

Quote 0 0
Ryan
The easiest and cheapest way to do it would be to sell what you have and buy a beetle.  Everything from the windsheild forward has to be replaced, no small task.  On a side note, why would you want to downgrade the front suspension?  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
flash

The SB has a superior ride and turns in a 3 foot smaller radius than a regular beetle.   If you want a regular Bug...like said above....just buy one.

Loren 

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

The front end of the Super Beetle, too, is a unibody with struts, where the same on the Standard Beetle has torsion bar suspention.  Even converting a 1302, similar in many ways to a Standard, would involve an exhaustive, expensive reconstruction of the front end.  Get a Standard if you want a Standard.  They're still plentiful, especially out in the Western states.

Daniel

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Yup, like I said, everything from the windshield forward is what you're looking at.  I suppose if you're a really good fabricator and bodyman you could keep the actual body intact, more or less.  But the framehead would have to be replaced and it's anything but a straight-forward swap.

But again, unless you want to make it into a Baja or something (Supers are a bad choice for this) you already have a superior front end.  If it needs work, fix it, don't run from it.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Plus, the front luggage space in a Super is much greater, almost by twice, of that of the Standard.  The Standard has bobkis for luggage space in the trunk compared to the Super.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0