71superbeetle
   Hey all!!  I will soon be starting the work on restoring my 71 super. However, I have been searching the net for reproduction hoods and can't seem to find them.  Does anyone know if there is a company that sells any?  I have found a few on thesamba but I am afraid that I will get a bad hood.  Pics can only show so much and if the light is right you can hide dents.  I have found fiberglass hoods but would like to stay away from them if possible.  Any help would be greatly apprectiated.  Thanks for the help in advance and as always this is a great site and forum with many helpful experts!
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
bikertrash35967

i was told when i was hunting a hood is the only way to get a hood was to buy a used hood, because there was nobody making reproduction hoods due to the fact that there were only two dies that could stamp super hoods. one was broken and the other wore out. how true this is i don't know? but i just reworked mine about a dozen times give or take a time or two. good luck

Quote 0 0
beetlemusic

I may be able to help I have a 71 super that met a tragic end and I have been using it for parts for my daily driver it has a hood that needs some minor attention on one corner shipping is pretty much out of the question due to cost but if you are not to far maybe we can work something out I am located in north MS, Memphis TN is the closest major city. PM me if you are interested and I will see if I can come up with some pictures to show the hood.

Joe 

'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
nathnn99

They may not be cheap, but their quality has always been good to me.  Mid-America motorworks has what I believe you need @ http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.72.4482

So Long and thanks for all the fish!
Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
  Hey nathnn99!  Thanks for the advice.  However I thought I read somewhere that only a 71 or 72 super beetle hood would work.  Something about the 73 and up were shorter.
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
nathnn99

I stand corrected!  I didn't pay enough attention to the years on MAMW's hood.  My appoligies.  I didn't mean to pass on false hopes or information!

Quote 0 0
nathnn99

Which raises the question, in 71 and 72 were the super and regular's hoods the same?  Anyone?

Quote 0 0

No way the super and standard hoods were ever the same.  The shape of the super hood is always a give away.  I have an extra 71 hood, but in rough shape and I am in Canada.  Good luck on your search.

JJ

Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
  Hey nathnn99, you didn't get my hopes up.  I had looked at them before and found out they wouldn't work.  I will keep looking and I should eventually find one.  Thanks for the help.
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
flash

Check with Chircos they will most likely will be able to find you one.

Look at their website:

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
oldyeler

Yes been there done that. 71 & 72 are all by there self. Only used the 2 years .and yes only on the super.

BFY Parts Obsolite offer them used also   1-800-789-0900

they usally keep pretty decent stuff    Good hunting and you will have to check for avaibilty. Even with them! (o\!/o)

Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
Thanks for the info.  They actually do have a super hood. 
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0
oldyeler

Hey I copyed the site. (o\ ! /o) then you copied me .

HUM  Oooh kay  It works better if you put a space on each side of the exclamation mark. Ive been adding it to my emails.

Quote 0 0
71superbeetle
Yeah I agree.  I too copied it from the website.  Thought it was pretty cool.  I added it to my signature before you had posted then I saw yours and thought damn I wasn't first.  LoL
(o\ | /o)
Quote 0 0