veedo
That look is very popular with the german look crowd. Look under german look . com
Air cooled before water cooled. They both need more to go fast. Let them breathe and breed the more the better. 55 oval, 58 ragtop,
57 vert, 67 vert, 75 german look monster.
Quote 0 0
I saw an old restored Chevy where they stripped the cracked dash cover and pad, did some fill in on the metal, and painted it. It looked good! I stripped an old 73 SB dash I had and in looking at the metal stamped frame, I think I could do the same and might look pretty decent. Anyone know of this being tried before?
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I've never seen it done but it sounds interesting. Maybe you could try some American Hot Rod sites for some tips.
Quote 0 0
javajuice
the sueme book on the different looks and mods of beetles has the german anf french look beetles that have that done to the dash. I personally like it and since my dash is trashed, i will be going that route. from the pictures some people fill in the holes others don't. 1 person made the glove box still work.
formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
lopes
I don't know how original you want to keep your Super, (or if you trust JC Whitney) but I did just receive their newest catalog that had a fiberglass dashboard replacement. They had a listing for Supers with a curved dash. It looks nothing like the original, but it looks like it gives you options to add more gauges. Unfortunately, it is not listed on their website but it is in the catalog for $189. I have a '76 Supervert that needs plenty of TLC, and I have been looking for dash options. Sorry I'm long winded, but I feel your pain. Let me know how you end up.
Quote 0 0
javajuice
This place has used in"perfect" condition super dashes for 70

http://www.vwbob.com/parts.html
formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
If anyone has photos of a SB that has had this done, please post a link. I would really be interested in seeing this.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
javajuice
Keith Seume's book "VW Beetle The New Custom Handbook" has several pics, most major book stores will have a copy.
Quote 0 0
Cool thanks, I'll look for it.
Quote 0 0
Envious
Not a curved windshield but here's my shaved 71 SB dash with controls and head unit moved to the glove box and the speedo frenched 1"
71 Custom Beetle
64 Convertible Beetle
63 Beetle Sedan Gulf Blue
64 1500s Squareback Nutria
52 BSA C11G
65 Lambretta Li125
04 Touareg
Quote 0 0
podboy3
that is an amazing dash,
also where did you get those kick panels from with the speaker holes in them.

Quote 0 0

Here's a shot of my 72 Super's Dash. I removed the dash pad, and unfortunately couldn't afford the holes to be welded & painted, so I improvised and created some nice wood inserts. Still need to find a dash handle to fit....Whatcha think?

-Megan
YellowBetleSB@yahoo.com

PS... you can get those fiberglass kick panels w/ speaker holes from, http://www.glass-action.com
Quote 0 0
dods1600
Envious did you remove the carpet completely from the sides of your "firewall" it looks really cool. could you post a pic of what the area around your pedals look like im just curious what it looks like. I may just try some of that on mine
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0