ICBM
I see a lot of them, but which ones can I trust to be all new for best price and warranty (if any)?
Quote 0 0
Cobey
No GEX.  I haven't heard a word of good about them.  No personal experience, but still...
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
ICBM
Yeah, I've heard bad things, too. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
If you can find a good local builder you'd be better off, especially if there was any warranty work to be done. I don't know of anyone in your area. You might check with any local clubs and see if there's someone around. I have no experience with the off the shelf motors. Like you and Cobey though, I have heard nothing good and plenty of bad about GEX. The story is that they used to build good motors and then their quality went downhill and they rode on their old reputation. Seems like that happens a lot lately. Sorry, I know that wasn't a lot of help.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
ICBM
I was thinking of doing it locally. There's one VW shop that said he had enough parts laying around to put together an engine. And another place down the street that said they'd do it for $1100 (parts & labor), which seems awfully cheap and worries me. There is a Dub Club around here and I have the # of one of the member's, so I'll ask him. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
$1100 isn't awful. I'd definitely ask around about the guys reputation. I live in Ky. about 5 mins. S of Cincy, so I know the problems your having. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of people around that specialize in VW's. There are more than you think though. I've met a few local guys right here on this site that have awesome shops I've gotten the opportunity to check out. Keep your eyes open and definitely check the local clubs. I see that your from Rocky River, Ohio, but I'm not familiar with where that is. There is a guy near me in Ohio named Phillip that rebuilds stock to drag, whatever you want. He's got over 20 years experience, and has machine shop on the premises. He's also got shipping available.
Toll free: 1-888-FOR MYVW or E-mail cacmachine@aol.com
Check the classifieds on thesamba under services. There's probably one closer than you think, at least within a day trip.
Good luck to you!

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
ICBM
$1100 isn't awful at all! Maybe I used the wrong word. It's.. too good to be true! But there is a guy a few miles from here who specializes in VW's. He's got several old dubs layin around. So I'll call him again and get a quote. And there are about 4 or 5 car shops within a 10 minute walk of my house and I've seen Beetles in all their lots at one time or another. Some of them on a regular basis! In fact, I see more Beetles in repair shops than on the road, hehe. But how's that for people in my area!?! =P By the way, Rccky River is a suburb of Cleveland. Thanks for your suggestions!
Quote 0 0
Ryan

How about this, new factory longblock for $1450.00.  --Ryan

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ESE0001&cartid=0611200568045043

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

That sounds good but be careful, i recently found that a lot of places use gex engines and dont say it outfront.

Chris

Quote 0 0
Ryan

True, lot of places don't build their own stock engines.  Unfortunately they can't compete with the prices offered by the places that absolutely should not be building engines.  If you ever thought to yourself that those prices are awefully low, well you get what you pay for.  The last time I rebuilt a stock engine, the parts cost was about $1200 and we only really replaced the heads, P/C set and carb.  The rest was salvagable.  Up to a point the lower cost is understandable because of bulk purchasing power.  But there are some places selling rebuilts for way too little.  Probably because the just slap them back together with new bearings and rings and call it good.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

Yeah, i almost considered a turnkey engine from cip1, cause i've had good results with anything else that i've bought from them, i do believe that it was a 1900-2000cc engine, with nice dual carbs and lots of good things for only about the early $2000's, i called for more info, and the guy even told me that he wouldn't really recommend it, and i then found that it was gex.

Chris

Quote 0 0