chrissamuels

I just finally compleated fixing up my engine (pretty stock/Small budget) and after many problems with a broken off flush oil sensor (more than 2 months to fix this problem from hell), and starter problems, i got it to the point of where i could start it, and when i did, it couldn't start... it shook, puttered, and backfired. I know that it is pretty broad, but what could this be... im thinkin timing, i'd like some opinions, and by the way, how do you time it, and can you use a timing gun on beetle engines?

Thanks, 

Chris 

Quote 0 0
Ryan

Check your plug wires, make sure they all go to the right spots.  What you descibed is exactly what happens when wires get switched around.  If that doesn't work, double check the timing.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

how do you know which positions the wires go onto, there are no marks on the distrubutor cap, and the only little schematic i could find was confusing and basically impossible to figure out, plus i timed it, and only got it to backfire through the exhaust, instead of the carb.

Chris

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

i looked a recent post and found the way to put the wires on, it worked like a charm and started right up, but there are other things now.... Another post comeing up...

Quote 0 0
s0cks
It didn't work for me. Lol. I dunno...
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0