chrissamuels

I just finished rebuilding my engine in december, when the oil sensor broke off the first time i tried to started it (it was formerly epoxied by the past owner) but thats another story, i just was able to fix that a week ago, and when i go to start the engine nothing happens, the starter doesn't even turn on, this is really wierd because a day or two before it cranced the engine over to get any metal pieces out of the engine from the sensor hole, i am wondering if it is the ignition switch or maybe the starter, i dont know which one or even something else, but i've never seen a starter just stop working, it was fine a couple months ago, and the battery is good, i checked the cables going to the starter and they are all on good, and nothing goes dim when i try to start it.  

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Try bypassing the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver. Touch the bolt that comes from the battery to the small wire from the ignition together, (Car out of gear, Ebrake on!!! If you've got the key turned to the on position the car will likely start and run, something to keep in mind as you'll be laying under the engine.) This should make the starter crank over, if so your solenoid is probably questionable.If still nothing then your switch is probably bad. Make sure you get a good contact on it, it may take some wiggling around to hit it just right. This should help you determine the culprit. Good Luck!
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
chrissamuels
how do you bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver?
And just to clarify, both wires are on the starter and solenoid.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
You have 2 big nuts side by side in the center of the solenoid, one to the battery(farthest from the starter), one to the starter(closest to starter) Off to the side you have 1 or more prongs, depending on what type of tranny(auto stick has more than one). Whichever one goes to the ignition is the one you want to touch. Take a screwdriver and simultaneously touch the nut coming from the battery and the prong going to the ignition together. Your basically bridging them together. I just read what I posted before and thought one thing and typed another. My bad. If you touch both big nuts together you bypass the use of the solenoid.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
chrissamuels
thanks i get it, ill check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Chris

Quote 0 0
Marc
NoH2O wrote:
...If you touch both big nuts together you bypass the use of the solenoid.
Which'll make the starter motor spin but it won't engage the flywheel. Most cars have a "Bendix" drive that throws the starter pinion out into engagement with the flywheel when the motor spins, but VWs rely upon a mechanical linkage from the solenoid to the pinion to do that.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
But it will tell him if his starter is any good, right. That was the point I was trying to get across to him.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
Marc

Yes, your description was fine - I just thought it could use a little elaboration. I neglected to point out that you cannot test a VW starter on the bench since it relies upon the support of the bushing in the trans case to keep the armature centered. The exception is the AutoStick/Automatic starter that's self-supporting (these will work in a manual trans too).

Quote 0 0