northeaster79

I have a chance to buy a sorreno's engine,its a 1914cc long block,it hasn't been started yet.my question is are these engines any good?is it going to be a great power increase from my stock 1600cc and is it worth $1500? thanks in advance.

Quote 0 0
northeaster79

I also just noticed from the pictures that the heads have CB and 57 stamped into them if that means anything.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I'm currently putting together a 1915 myself with parts mostly bought from Steve (Sorreno's). I know there was some turmoil towards the end, before he went out of business, but I don't think it had anything to do with his parts or engines. That's a whole other thread.
That's definitely a good engine to build. You'll absolutely notice a difference to the stock 1600. I guess I misunderstood your other thread about lack of power. I didn't realize you were new to the "overwhelmimg" power the stock engines get. Yeah right.
$1500 is a good price for a new bottom end I think. Especially for a 1915. That only leaves you with getting carbs, ignition, and exhaust for the most part. That's what you were planning on doing to the stocker anyway. Might as well step up to something a little better. That engine, if done correctly, turnkey status, would cost every bit of $4K to buy new. As far as CB goes that refers to CB Performance. Can't go wrong with ant CB parts. I've never heard any thing negative about them. Been around awhile.

I lucked out and bought all my parts in a huge parts lot from a guy retiring. I've already broken even on that deal and now am building a new engine for my '63 for nothing basically. He had already been buying up the parts for the engine for the last couple of years. I just have to put it together.
I think you'd be happy with the 1915. There is a huge feedback thread on Serrano's over at http://www.thesamba.com  in the "Buyer's/Seller's feedback forum. You can do some research there.

Good Luck.
Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Well, hold on a sec. Steve was Serrano's, not Sorreno's. I've never heard of a Sorreno's. If you actually meant Serrano's, stay away from it. I personally know 3 people who ordered 1915 longblocks from Steve that didn't last 6 months.  You can read all about the bad things that happened over at the samba, there's no point in chewing old soup here, but if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably full of Chinese parts that are gonna break...
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I didn't even catch the spelling there. Good call. I've ordered things in the past from Steve (Serrano's) without issue. I've never ordered a complete longblock though so I'm no judge on that. I had only good dealings with the stuff I did get. I do know he owed some folks some money at the end of it all.  As with anything online, you need to do your homework and go from there. There's always good stories and bad.
Hopefully all this stuff this guy had from Steve is good that I'm getting ready to put together. I'd hate to have to re buy everything. Time will tell.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
northeaster79

well thanks for the feedback guys,thats the spelling I was told it was from california.I will have to check into it a little more and see,and engine I buy I will be pulling apart to check over myself anyhow.agian thanks for the feeback and I always value your VW input.

Quote 0 0