dods1600

Does anyone on the forum have a Beetle that is purely a show car. I think it would be kinda neat to see the the cars on here, mines a daily driver so it doesnt look quite as nice as a show car would... what an understatement.

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

I think a lot, if not most, of the forum members here are daily-driver types who enjoy the unique driving experience our old bugs give us.  Many people are somewhat intimidated by the "concours" show image, but showing (off) your daily driver can be a lot of fun, too.  I'm taking NellyBelle to our town's "Day in the Park" Celebration today, where among other things we have a car show with 200-250 cars, barbeque, helicopter rides, kid's carnival, and this year a "Strongest Man" contest, which I am entering.  Everything's for fun, no high pressure, and Nelly will be seen by almost 10,000 people.  The evening is capped off by our fireworks celebration.  It's our alternative to the usual 4th of July celeb, when many people have other plans.  The car show (my brother is bringing his sweet '74 Super Beetle Sport edition over to park beside my car) is right next to the Strongman competition, so I can keep an eye on my car.  I'm going to be competing in the senior (over 40) age group, lightweight. (under 200 lbs)  I have to flip a 450# tire 100' in 1 minute, lift 190# in each hand and carry them 75' in 70 seconds ("farmer's walk"), and then lift a series of stones and place them on 55 gal. drums... 175#, 195#, 220#, and 300#.  Oh, and in 96 degree heat and 90% humidity.

At 52 yrs. old I don't know why I'm doing this, but it should be fun, and keeps me outta the bars.... I'll try to post pictures later.

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
flash

I know we have discussed this subject a few times before here in the forum, however it is nice to know that others are on the same page as I am.  It would, I suppose be nice to have one of those biz zillion dollar show bugs. You known the ones...they park them at the car shows over a big mirror so yo can see the spotless underside.  I'd rather have a nice looking daily driver that turns heads and gets the thumbs up from the regular folks.  I try to keep "The Blues" from getting' ding'd up by parking on the end spot as far away as possible from the entrance to where I'm going.  No matter what you do...or how hard you try....it will never look like a first place super detailed number one show car IF you plan to enjoy driving your v-dub.

So...let's hear it for the DD-Bug!  (Daily Driver Bug)

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Well, back from the Car Show and Strongman Contest.  I didn't place with my bug (of course, this is American muscle-car territory) but my brother and I had a good time showing off our German "muscle"..hehe.  Out of 250 or more cars, there were only 4 foreign entries- our 2 VW's, a so-called "Herbie Clone" ('76 Standard with Herbie decals) and an Avanti.  The best part of the whole day for me was placing 3rd overall in the lightweight division, and first (and only ) in the Senior lightweight division in the Strongman.  It was unbearably hot and humid for such an event.  (see pics)  I was sooo pumped up for this contest I didn't hardly notice the heat.....

Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Here's a shot of my "baby" (younger) brother with his sweet Sport Edition '73 (not a '74) Super which just needs the striping done to make it about perfect.  Another FWDD (fair weather daily driver, like me) His car is a TX e-bay purchase.   My '64 is next to his.  He should've been competing with me in the Strongman.

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Yeah, I concur with Loren.  I'd rather have a nice daily driver any ol' day!  Show cars are great, but really... they have enough museum pieces at VW's auto museum park in Wolfsberg.  Beetles are too much fun to drive to keep them simply as historical vehicles.  I figure, there are enough people out there preserving these wonderful cars for show, so I'm just going to drive and maintain my little, utilitarian 1302 with the rusted out rear pans and the crap spray can pain job.  Hopefully, I can get him in good physical order, but I will even then just drive and enjoy him.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0