NoH2O
What's the least amount of shims can you get away with before changing your belt. I have 3 momentarily but I've heard there should be a minimum of 4. The running hot issue I had a few weeks ago seems to go directly to a loose belt. Go figure. It's set a about a quarter inch of play, but after it has run awhile it loosens up. The belt itself is not getting loose, so much as the belt seems to stretch after getting warm. The current belt is only 3 months old and looks fine.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I had the same problem when I was using a cheap V belt. I replaced mine with a good quality "Cog Style" belt and it doesn't stretch at all anymore. The little cogs in the belt help to keep it and the pulley cool. Cooler = less stretching!

Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Wayne,

I also have a cog stlye belt. I have never had a problem..
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
Marc
The least is zero (between the pulley halves, you must always have a minimum of eight total or the nut may not hold the pulley together tightly).
As the belt wears and/or stretches and shims are moved from between the halves to the storage position the effective size of the pulley increases which reduces fan speed for a given RPM, but this was taken into account for the initial design and is acceptable. With some aftermarket crankshaft pulleys or counterfeit alternator pedestals a brand-new belt may start out with only ~3 shims between the halves; shimming the generator/alternator up by slipping a strip of sheetmetal under it is a way to remedy this.
With very few exceptions I've almost always run a plain Continental belt and they've given me wonderful service - The segmented and cogged belts may have some barely-measurable theoretical advantage (they're claimed to be 1-4% more efficient than plain belts) but if they were inherently superior overall the factory would probably have used them; I've seen more of them "flipped" and tossed than the plain type, too. As far as I can tell they're a merchandising gimmick, I'd never pay extra for one.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Here's an article from Tech Talk with Rick in our Tech section that explains how to change and adjust the belt;

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/nov.htm
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I'm going to drop 2 more shims and see how that helps. I've never had this problem on my busses. I've broken belts but never had them slip like this. Thanks all!
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan
There's quite a few crappy belts out there that the shops are pushing.  The best belt that I've found so far is a Gates brand belt.  It's Napa's house brand so any Napa shop should have what you need.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0