nipper552003
I stumbled on some seat upholstery tricks I wanted to share with any of you newbies like myself who may have snapped off any of the little "shark's teeth" on the underside of the frame that are used to secure the upholstery. After at least two previous reupholstery jobs, my '64's teeth were tired from being bent and re-bent, and of course, several just broke off when I was trying to straighten them out. What to do??? Don't get that new upholstery nice and tight, and it looks like you used $9.00 seat covers from K-Mart. I finally drilled 1/8" holes in the frame, and used aluminum pop-rivets with spacers (aluminum washers), being especially careful in the portion of the frame where the rod runs through for seat adjustment.) VOILA! A professional looking repair that actually looks great (no uneven tension, like with the shark teeth) An occasional one won't weaken the frame at all, and isn't visible. Also, when one of the spring welds breaks when you are trying to get those seatcovers tight, you can use an "X" made of 2 small nylon cable ties for a repair in this notoriously difficult place to reweld. Hopefully these tips will keep you from knashing your teeth and kicking the dog. I also purchased additional scrap foam padding from my local carpet installer for 10.00, yards and yards, enough to add extra padding under my TMI injection-molded pads (be careful, here, as too much will make it a real bear to get the seatcovers on... 3/8"- 3/4" will do nicely) and even in the doors, quarter-panels, and other areas for extra insulation.
Drive on,
John Scribner
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Great post, thanks for the valuable know how. I plan on redoing my seats this winter, and this is the kind of thing I need to know. LOL, I read everything I can find on the subject so it will be as painless as possible when I do it. Be well.

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Bernard-
Let me know if you have any questions. I made a few mistakes, even with the Jbugs Interior Video, and would be glad to save you the same.
John scribner
Quote 0 0
Wayne
That is great tip as I've broken off a lot of the "sharks teeth" on my front seats.
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
That's got to look better than the tec screws i used thanks.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey John. Thanks for the offer, I'll remember it... Like I said, it wont be for several months yet, so its a bit early to be asking specifics. I wouldn't mind renting your video when the time comes...

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0