dods1600

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a request from  everyone in the forum. I was woundering if thoughs of you who have roof racks on your beetles, would you mind taking close up pictures of the sections that connect the rack to the roof. I know that there is a piece that connects to the rain gutters but I can't seem to find any good pictures of how it works.

Thanks... you guys rock!

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
flash

I am still considering a chrome roof rack with the wood slats and locking bolts. It's about $400 from American Motor Works.  I like the chrome look.  Still not sure how it will look on a Super.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I've got one on my 74. I'll get you a picture tomorrow. It basically attaches by means of 2 brackets, one on either side, that lock onto the gutter. There is a wingnut and locking nut behind that on each side. It is all basically a matter of tension applied by tightening the wingnut down and then locking it in place with the next nut. I've got mine off currently, but can throw it on for a few pics. for you.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
dods1600

Awsome Steve thank you very much

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
68autobug

I'm looking at buying a pair of Roof Racks next week....

to fit a Beetle....

My Son has a pair on His 69 Baja Beetle.... and they are locked on with a key....

I hope the ones I am buying are the same.....

I want to be able to carry a long ladder now & then....

My Son has My Long step ladder at present....  I tried to pick it up with My Mitsubishi Lancer but its too long....

They need to be special sizes to go over the pitched roof of the Beetle...

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobyg

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Alright, sorry it took so long to post. I'm one fender away from finishing the body work on the 74. The roof was just primered tonight so I couldn't show any pics. with it attached, but I took some of the basic mechanism that holds it on. I'll get you better pics with it on tomorrow.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I don't know where my pics. went, so here they are this time.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
nipper552003

I don't have pictures yet of my clamps (similar if not the same as the pictures).  A little hint to protect your paint at the raingutter- use a thin piece of roofing rubber, or buckskin to pad the clamp before you tighten it down.  Keeps the paint from being trashed.

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
dods1600
Thoughs are great pics of how it works. It's just some simple tension. Thank you
Quote 0 0
ICBM
dods! is that your monster beetle in the avatar!!??
Quote 0 0
dods1600

ya all it took was a little duct tape...... oh and photoshop lol

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

I think that's one of my favorite avatars on here... that and the dancing Spider Man.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
dods1600

lol thanks Daniel

Quote 0 0
ICBM
haha, you had me fooled. would be funny to see one of those really driving around though.. anything is possible, right?
Quote 0 0