sector51 Show full post »
Ryan
Nope, that's what makes it dangerous. Anyone can sell you a cage and tell you it's whatever they want you to think it is. Best to go with a shop you trust or carries a good reputation with people that matter. Also check what current NHRA regulations are requiring tubing types and thicknesses. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey dods1600. I believe you can put any funky old set up in your car, as it is you business/concern. OOps, forgot to check, are you in the US ? Thats where I am, and what applies.
Ryan, I agree with you that $300 isn't much for a full cage, and that it is best to save a bit more for a solid set up if required. I also believe its better to put in a cheaper one than give it up entirely if that is your limit. You dont have to race or have a trick bug to be safer. LOL on the aftermarket fitment, when I buy aftermarket, I ASSUME it wont fit right (saves hypertension, and heart valve wear and tear), and IF it goes together easy, I just giggle and have a beer I was looking at modifying my 1/2 cage for the '78 Vert, but then realized I want a full cage. That is a ROYAL PAIN when it comes to top clearance, and not interfering with seat movement, head/shoulder space. Since I have to replace all window seals, I decided to wait (a rare moment of forethought) as the cage would make that task even worse. The car isnt 'ready' yet, so I drive it little, but just looking at the profile and thinking of it upside down makes me whimper...

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
dods1600
hmm do they impeed with anything on the inside of the car. Cause if not I would like to build my own for my car. tig of course. thanks for the info ryan.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey dods1600. Depending on your interior, and the design of the cage, yes, there can be some interference. The center posts may interfere with reclining the front seats, and will eat up some of the rear seat entry area. The front posts may reduce leg room for entry/exit. The center crossbar could effect front seat head room. There are no definites, as cages/interiors/peoples size all vary somewhat. With some patience and mods you should be able to install a cage that doesnt cause much interference...

Bernard
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey sector51 (anything like area 51 ?). Just found this cage you may be interested in, but on review it may be one you have seen. I'll post the link anyway. Worth calling on atleast. Good luck...

http://www.uniquesupply.com/products/pages/ChenowthRollCage_jpg.htm

Bernard
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Have you checked out aircooled.net, I think they have some on their site. I have a welder, but am still a little timid about putting a cage in, well maybe just broke. You were the guy who parents didn't want him to get the bug, right! Well good luck Oh.. Also, if you do get a cage from aircooled.net, see if they will let you do the instructions. If you write out some good instructions and take lots of pictures and have someone who can weld well you could save some dough.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0