George

I have a 72 Sbeetle that I am going to have to rewire. I bought the bug-me dvd on the rewiring process but it looks a little confusing with the different fuse box  vw put in that year. It seems '71 was different also. My questions are; Has anyone rewired a 72 SB and how hard was it ? And, What would be best ,stock wiring harness from Wiring Works along with new fuse box or a GM fuse panel with aftermarket harness? Any help from the VW community would be great. Thank you

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
MY72BUG is a ' 72 Super convertible.  It needed partial rewiring mainly from the back end forward.  At the time I did not know about sources for new harnesses so I did it one wire at a time, matching gauge for gauge.  It took a lot of time and patience but not a lot of money.  The results have stood the test of time.  I can't see that the '72 fuse box is different from any other Beetle I have ever seen.  With a good diagram, wiring with a new harness should not be as difficult as the approach I took.  My72BUG
Quote 0 0
ryen74
Have you looked into a painless wiring harness?
Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
George

I did contact someone at Painless and was told they did not offer a wiring harness for a 72 Superbeetle. I found that a little strange because I have seen ads.

Quote 0 0
staticattic
I have a 72 Super and I re-wired the whole thing. I didn't think it was that difficult. It took me a day to do the whole thing. I bought the complete wiring harness from Mid America. I also used the Bentley VW Manual. It has complete wiring diagrams.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
George

Jeff, How were the directions on that wiring harness from Mid-America Motorworks ? Were there any aspects of the rewiring process that you had difficulty with that would help me, when I attempt this project? Thanks George

Quote 0 0
kafertoys
I just rewired a 72 super with a wire works harness and its not a bad job

I tape the wire ends with electrical tape attached with welding wire to string it true the body spray down with WD40.

And clean the foam out of the quarter real well.

Mario
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Quote:

Jeff, How were the directions on that wiring harness from Mid-America Motorworks ? Were there any aspects of the rewiring process that you had difficulty with that would help me, when I attempt this project? Thanks George

The instructions that came with the wiring harness were pretty much useless. The Bentley Manual has complete wiring diagram pictures. Check out this link: http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service-Manual-Karmann/dp/0837600960/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214826854&sr=8-5 This will take you to Amazon for a look at the book. For wiring diagrams, this is one of the best. Interestingly, the instructions that came with the wiring harness even recommended this book for more detailed drawings.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MasterofDisaster
I am ready to put my 73 sbeetle convertible together - who makes the best wiring diagram for a rookie to follow? most of the harness is in but nothing to engine compartment.
has anyone routed the wiring in the main cabin thru the heater channel to keep it clean looking? [i will not use it for heat!]
also - who makes a nice roll bar for the vert?
Quote 0 0
staticattic
The Bentley VW Manual has the diagrams. You can also look here:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html for color drawings. Some of them are in German though. When I did my car, I mostly used the Bentley Manual, but the color diagrams from this site helped too. And if you have upgraded from a generator to an alternator with an internal power regulator, check this site: http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.gif . This will provide a diagram for taking out the voltage regulator.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0