tdelahaye
Hi there, need some advice.  I have a 1973 super beetle 1303S. The wings, and front apron, to my lovely beetle are beginning to rust, and I want to either replace or restore them (and eventually improve the rest of the bodywork though she is in excellent condition otherwise). I have been advised that bought replacement wings sometimes do not fit properly and look so good and it would be better to try and restore the wings.  Is this possible, how much would it cost over buying replacement wings, and basically is it better to restore the wings?
Trish

Trish Delahaye
Quote 0 0
ChrisW
Well Trish I have struggled with the same problem. New fenders can be had for $100.00 to $200.00 each depending on front or back and where they are ordered from. As far as cost to have them restored I do not know. I have decided to restore mine, but since I do all my own body work I can not help you with the cost issue. But you will not find a replacement fender anywhere that is the same quality as the original parts. One more avenue you might check out is auto salvage yards you might find some good fenders that just need painting.

Chris
FAST is good CONTROL is better
Quote 0 0
olspeed
First off a few pics would help! The new body parts that are for sale out there are not quite as good of quality that the original stuff was, but with work they can be made to work and look good... Point is the cheaper you buy the more work to get it looking close to right. If your old parts are rusted through in large areas then you should consider new parts because fiberglass and bondo are a very temporary fix. If you have welding experience or are willing to learn then anything and I mean ANYTHING can be fixed but if you are talking about taking it to a body shop then prices will depend on just what the market for that work brings in your area.
olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi Trish

its much better to use good second hand fenders / wings [in the UK] or mudguards in Australia...
You can also buy NEW fiberglass wings in Most countries.. that will never rust again...
check out Your VW shops in the VW magazines over there in the UK..
You can also buy excellent VW replacement parts in the UK that are made in the UK...
these parts are now being sold in Australia and are expensive but do fit properly...

We are lucky not to have the major rust problems You have in Europe and North America.. and the salt air..

Salt should have only been used on dinner tables.... lol
and it wouldn't be eating cars away....

cheers

Lee in Australia

- helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia and around the world --
I have been on here since 20th February 2004
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi again

I just remembered that 1303S beetles were popular in the US..
but only 1800 were ever sold in the UK...
so, maybe Your parts will be difficult to find...
and I've read where they are fairly rare now in the UK...

and the front apron and front fenders/wings of a 1303 don't fit any other Non Super model beetles...

best of Luck

Lee

- helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia and around the world --
I have been on here since 20th February 2004
Quote 0 0